• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

From can to pan...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Being very new to flintlocks, it soon came to my attention that getting priming powder to the lock's pan becomes an issue if one has no designated device for that task. Since my original intent was to just see if the lock made enough spark to ignite priming powder, I fabricated this:
IMG_0263.jpg
...a spooned out recess at the end of a 3/8 piece of ramrod. Working with that was tedious and most likely unsafe in some fashion. So, I got a little more serious about it and made this:
IMG_0257.jpg
IMG_0259.jpg
It doesn't dispense any pre-disposed amount of powder, i.e., there's a learning curve involved. But it was fun and I didn't have to fill out an order form or pay for shipping and handling and wait however-many-days...

I don't have the equipment to make something like that, but one of the things I love about this hobby is the ability to make a lot of your own equipment. Bags, bullets, ramrods, horns, flasks and even the guns themselves if you progress that far.

Posting this here was a mistake on my part. Apparent issues with the time frame of this category. My apologies.

It won't happen again.
What are you pouring your main charge out of? Why can't you pour from that into the pan?

I see no reason why the scoop would not be safe by the way.

Brokennock,

You have asked:
What are you pouring your main charge out of?
- from the can into a powder measure, into the barrel.
Why can't you pour from that into the pan?
- I've never tried it. It may prove to be a little awkward/ clumsy for an old coot like me. The wooden scoop (6" long) was challenging enough - so I made the handheld powder dribbler.

All of my BP shooting is done from the bench. I don't do re-enactments or rendezvous. Ergo, I have no persona to develop - powder horns, knives, hawks, possible bags, etc.. I' m here because I enjoy the history and the crafting of long rifles and developing a load for them.

Last edited:
Brokennock,

You have asked:
Why can't you pour from that into the pan?
- I've never tried it. It may prove to be a little awkward/ clumsy for an old coot like me. The wooden scoop (6" long) was challenging enough - so I made the handheld powder dribbler.

All of my BP shooting is done from the bench. I don't do re-enactments or rendezvous. Ergo, I have no persona to develop - powder horns, knives, hawks, possible bags, etc.. I' m here because I enjoy the history and the crafting of long rifles and developing a load for them.
Yes, that could be problematic for priming the pan. Lol

That little brass primer you made is really nice. You say there is a "learning curve," in using it. Maybe try this, place the tip of your index finger over the hole in the tip, open the gate/valve and point it downward keeping your finger tip in place, while still pointed down release the gate/valve button allowing the gate/valve to close trapping a small amount of powder between your finger and the closed valve. I'm guessing this will still be slightly more powder than you need, but use the tip of your finger to control the flow. With practice you can probably reverse the procedure and return the excess powder to the main body after trickling out enough of the trapped powder to prime your pan.

Nice work, have you tried just priming from the main powder horn, As too dont belong here why not, necessity is the driver of invention.

Nice work, have you tried just priming from the main powder horn, As too dont belong here why not, necessity is the driver of invention.
I asked similar but I'm a different way, response was,
You have asked:
Probably pretty difficult to pour from the can into the pan without a huge overpower and/or flat out miss.

What other ideas might folks have to deal with this? Aside from the usual antler primers and metal primers.
Let's think outside the box.
Like the scoop the o.p. made, which I think was a brilliant solution.
If your powder container won't allow you to pour powder neatly and accurately into the pan,,, how would you prime?
I have some ideas I'll save for later.

I have a couple of primers. Both work well. One is a small horn with a commercial small charger as a spout. The other is just a very small horn I wear on a thong around my neck. It's a lot easier to get just a couple of grains out of than my full sized horn.

What, is this some sort of a humble brag post??? If not kudos to you for the awesome pan primer you made.

What, is this some sort of a humble brag post??? If not kudos to you for the awesome pan primer you made.
The first couple responses to my original post got me to thinking that post, which depicts machine work, may be on the verge of compromising - may not dovetail with the theme or intent of the category "The Craftsman." Being new to the forum, I didn't want to be doing something out of order or out of place... Turns out, from reading subsequent posts (thanks everyone), the post fits the category.

Thank you for the compliment.

The first couple responses to my original post got me to thinking that post, which depicts machine work, may be on the verge of compromising - may not dovetail with the theme or intent of the category "The Craftsman." Being new to the forum, I didn't want to be doing something out of order or out of place... Turns out, from reading subsequent posts (thanks everyone), the post fits the category.

It may be a bit modern for the forum overall,,,, but with the number of posts lately touting the .50BMG cleaning rod as the ultimate range rod,,, few have room to gripe about it.

i doubt many here have rifles that the barrel's and locks were hand forged and hand rifled. we live in a machine age, even if we do pine for the "good old days"! your charger is grand. scratch it up a little and it will be the cat's meow!

Latest posts

Back