• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Forming the powder pan on an original wheellock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Did you know?

Various arms scholars have examined original wheellocks made in the 1500s and have observed striations under high-power microscopes, on the sides of the pan where the wheel intersects it and projects up into the firing or powder section of the pan. This suggests that the hardened wheel itself was used as the 'rotary milling cutter' to cut the slot precisely to the wheel's dimensions.

On the best of the wheelies examined, there was only a ~0.07mm or 0.003" clearance between the wheel and any part of the priming pan, to which the scholarly paper, "Leonardo, the Wheel Lock, and the Milling Process" states that that degree of precision serves as proof that only the wheel itself could cut such an accurate and precise fit, especially when being done 'way back then'.

To be machined, the pan blank and wheel would be held onto a jig, if not the actual lockplate itself, where the pan itself would be suspended above the wheel by the 'single pivot point' that holds the pan to the lockplate. These same scholars/researchers believe the single bolt holding the pan on was intentional, as one would turn the wheel by an outside force, while the pan was slowly lowered or pivoted down onto the spinning wheel.

Man, that must have been a long arduous grinding or cutting process ... but pretty darn cool, no?

WL-Pan.jpg

Pan2.jpg

Last edited:
I'm always amazed by the wheellock.

You'd think that with the intricate machining it would have come after the flintlock.

It's akin to America landing on the moon prior to the Wright Brothers getting their plane off the ground.

I have often wondered if someone got the idea for awheellock while sharpening a blade/tool on one of those peddle-operated grinding wheels ? LOL You would have thought that flint and steel fire making would have promulgated the snaphaunce first.

Rick

I have often wondered if someone got the idea for awheellock while sharpening a blade/tool on one of those peddle-operated grinding wheels ? LOL You would have thought that flint and steel fire making would have promulgated the snaphaunce first.

Rick
A claim I’ve seen repeated online and in a couple of books is that wheel lighters with a pull string predated it, so they already had the basic concept of a dog with pyrite sparking against a spinning wheel.
577A7F5A-ACB2-4320-8D91-470C60191556.jpeg

Last edited:
Whats the rest look like? Is that is the double wheellock you aquired?
I’ll post some photos later today. The lock is completely intact (minus wear and a little bobble on one of the dogs missing), but the parts are mostly frozen. Better than expected from the auction listing and very adequate for my plans for it.

after reading more about traditional lock making and lock design, the extreme simplicity of the matchlock really does help explain why it took so long for even the flintlock to take over.
To add an example, after being reminded by a post by @VicN, wheellocks are so large and complex, while matchlocks are so simple, that you can put a matchlock mechanism in one, without really modifying the lock (except dog placement):
A7380816-7602-4CA2-881F-D08E218CAC10.jpeg

3CC443B2-F36A-4D79-904C-C8D32F3479D1.jpeg

A Good and Rare Austrian Combined Wheellock and Matchlock Musket, ca. 1665-70 - Ethnographic Arms & Armour

Back