• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Review: Veteran Arms Handgonne

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello guys, a few weeks ago Karl of Inrange on YouTube posted a video of a cool medieval handgonne replica. I learned that a new company called American Hasta has recently started production of these and they’re made in the USA and are sold through Veteran Arms. I have been wanting a handgonne for a long time and figured the price of $399 was reasonable enough. Here is the gonne:

DBA205CA-8C1D-4319-9B89-95055C983673.jpeg

It came very quickly from Veteran Arms, shipped the next day. It was well packaged and came with a simple printed manual with a very nice historical treatise as well as loading and safety information. Initial impressions were very good. The .75 caliber barrel is nicely crowned and finished in a dark black paint of some kind. The bore measures exactly .750” and is 10” to the back of the breech. The barrel is made of a monolithic turned piece of 4140 steel and features a small priming pan and touchhole.

42C4D18B-856F-4669-9D6B-A3B4338D7E5A.jpeg

The hardwood stock (properly called a tiller) is nicely finished smooth with an octagonal appearance and handsome brown stain. One minor issue that I addressed before firing the gun was that there was a slight amount of wobble between the metal barrel and the wood tiller. I used a little 2-part epoxy to mate the two pieces and it’s now rock solid. Not a big deal and the only real fit and finish issue I had with it.

The gonne ships with a serpentine lever secured to the tiller via a wood screw with a leather washer providing proper tension. I experimented with making matchcord with the 1/4” cotton cord available on the Veteran Arms website. I found the cord to not be ideal as it frayed badly and I must’ve not got the proportion of black powder to water correct as the match didn’t smolder very well. From my research hemp cord works better for this task. I elected to remove the serpentine lever for later use when I can obtain or make better slow match.

What I used this afternoon was the 2mm hobby cannon fuse (also available through Veteran Arms) and that worked very nicely with perfect ignition over 15 shots fired. Original handgonnes were not fired with fuses such as this, but the early serpentine type black powder would burn in a very similar way to a fuse when it was placed in the pan of the gonne, so it gives much the same shooting experience while allowing us to use today’s safer more reliable black powder. I fired cast .735” round balls and hemp tow wadding greased with mink oil tallow.

512792F3-79BD-4483-9B61-C77000516849.jpeg

Aiming this handgonne can done either by tucking it under the arm and aiming it intuitively (think point shooting) or my using an over the shoulder method aiming down the stock and barrel. I found this later method to be a little easier to hit with but shooting with the under the arm method was quite fun. One should be careful to place the hands well in front of the face when holding on the shoulder as there is no butt to absorb the recoil. I fired 60 grain charges mostly and once or twice with the maximum recommend load of 100 grains using 2Fg Graf’s black powder. The full house load was very impressive.

5BE804F1-8CA0-473B-BA03-49CC77F9DFF6.jpeg

The experience of lighting the fuse and quickly aiming, waiting for the boom, was very exciting and challenging. I didn’t shoot for groups today but the weapon seems to be easily capable of hitting a man sized target at some distance. I fired at an old dead stump. It was a very unique shooting experience and really neat! Back at the shop, cleanup was quick and easy since there’s no lock to worry about and it’s just a short length of large caliber bore to clean as well as the touchhole.

Overall, this a very nice weapon and it’s a lot of fun and I think it’s worth the price considering it made in America from all U.S. sourced components. I’m glad I bought it and if you’re interested in shooting the earliest practical firearm in European history, this is a great option.

-Smokey

Did you try the lever? They show up a fair amount in original period art, but look super awkward to use.

This type of gonne despite (or because of) it’s primitiveness was used for around the entire 15th century, so a cool bonus feature for living history/re-enacting/general interest.

Did you try the lever? They show up a fair amount in original period art, but look super awkward to use.

This type of gonne despite (or because of) it’s primitiveness was used for around the entire 15th century, so a cool bonus feature for living history/re-enacting/general interest.

Yeah it works well and is a bit awkward. But the slow match I made was so lousy it hardly wouldn’t fire. I’m for sure going to try it again with better slow match. But the fuses work great.

Yeah it works well and is a bit awkward. But the slow match I made was so lousy it hardly wouldn’t fire. I’m for sure going to try it again with better slow match. But the fuses work great.
You could also try a piece of tinder. Michael Tromner was an advocate for that as the historical method, opposed to match chord, up to the mid 1500s. The picture on the Veteran Arms website could support that for the gonne too, because there does not look to be a match.
Gonne without match.jpg

Very nice. I'm having my own made, a copy of one that hasn't been reproduced to my knowledge. The Veteran Arms gonne looks similar to the one sold by rifle shoppe

TobJohn, you mentioned tinder. Would this likely have been a piece of "tinder conk"?
Yeah, I think so. Hoof fungus, right?

Here is a video on how to make tinder from fungus

I haven’t tried it myself, but I will soon have an appropriate gun for it and they do grow in the Shenandoah.

Last edited:
Smokey, cotton is not my favourite cord for match, and I hate wasting powder to make match anyway. Get you some hemp- I use 8 or 9 mm rope from Hemp Traders. Line a 5 gallon bucket with cloth- an old bedsheet is great- fill it halfway with wood ash and then 1/2 -3/4 with water. Steep it for a few hours or overnight, use the cloth to strain out the ashes, then pop your rope in- should be able to do about 20 fathom- and let it soak anything from a few hours to overnight. Hang it to dry, and it’s ready to go.
I usually start soaking the ash by 9:00 am, forget to strain it at lunch, so end up straining it and putting the rope in around 4pm, and hang it about 9 am tomorrow. By 5 it should be pretty good.
If you have a mess of cotton on hand, dissolve 1/3c of saltpetre in a gallon of hot water and put the cotton cord in. Soak it for a few hours to overnight, and hang to dry. It goes like you goosed it.
Jay

Jay, i looked at the hemp rope it looks like it would tend to unravel as its burned as it is not braided. You have no issues with that? Thanks Tom

I must have missed this debate but there was a Mr Brad Spear in Florida used to offer the bronze hand canon with the apostle head overlooking the touch hole (. His mark was a stylalised Rat with BS in the center) per many books( the ' Gonne' at least. I traded for two but friends HAD to have one so I never made my own. Neat thing but Ime sure aiming might have been a problem But maybe with the aid of the divinity aiming wasn't needed ? . He did the S.C.A stuff like Pensic .
Rudyard's two pennoth

Latest posts

Back