• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Pedersoli An IX Gendarmerie Pistol Review

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey :)

Here is my new Pedersoli An IX Gendarmerie .60 caliber flintlock military police pistol. These are going for nearly $900 now but I managed to snag this brand new in box with all paperwork for just $525 thanks to a tip from a fellow forum member. The gun was made in 2011 and was unfired. Until today that is!

AFE15B0B-1FC5-4EB6-B384-D2D71AAFC8AE.jpeg

The fit and finish of this arm is very good. The bore is so smooth and of excellent quality. The lock snaps great throwing numerous sparks and is really easy on gunflints, and kicks the frizzen open each time. It’s a very well balanced lock and the machining on the inside is excellent. The lock, tang, and barrel are inletted perfectly, only a small gap exists between frizzen and pan. The trigger is very crisp and clean and the cock operates so smoothly. A French amber gunflint and lead jaw liner was included, a nice touch indeed.

Overall, this little gun drips with quality and French style while still giving off a sturdy military service pistol vibe. I has just one issue with it, the ramrod was quite loose in its hole. I very gently bent it in a vice a nearly imperceptible amount and this snugged it up very nicely. The nosecap could have been just a touch better fitted, but is very snug in its place and it’s no real issue.

This repro is based on the government issued pistols that were carried by the gendarmerie (military police force) of Napoleon’s army. These were typically carried either singly or in pairs on the person, as opposed to the bigger and heavier cavalry models.

Being small and lightweight, these were an instant hit among the ranks and many officers also took to carrying them since they were so portable. The bore is a slightly smaller .60 caliber vs the larger .69 caliber cavalry pistols. These guns can be thought of in the same way a weapon such as the SIG P228 or Glock 19 is utilized now.

For its first range outing, I fired Hornady .570” swaged balls with .015” pillow ticking cut at the muzzle and lubed with Track’s Mink Oil. The charge was 30 grains. From 7 yards, I managed a 4” or so group. My hands were a bit shaky and keep in mind this gun lacks sights so not bad. With more load development and practice on where to hold, I’m sure it will do much better. As is it would make a serious threat out to 20 yards or so, quite good for this compact pistol.

4BDF2267-D333-4622-82B5-E761EA1C0643.jpeg

Overall, this gun was AMAZING to fire and incredibly fun! Recoil wasn’t bad at all and while I did get the occasional misfire, I chalk that up to my inexperience with flintlocks. The lock sparked every time and ignited the priming charge, I just think the vent was getting dirty after a handful of shots.

I highly recommend this pistol. I can’t wait to shoot it again. Take care, gang!

Now I'm curious what the velocity is with your load, any chance you can run it over a chronograph?

Also, any plans on making a paper cartridge for it?

Hi Smokey

Thanks for the review. Cool pistol. I've always had a soft spot for smooth bore flint pistols. I've found that 30-35grs. of FFG and 3F prime work pretty well with these pistols. I've found that past about 15-20 yards the pattern starts to widen considerably. So, that's some good first time shooting at 30 yards. These were close range pistols, and I don't think they were designed for use past these ranges. Plus, a man is a large target at this range. These were not target pistols. But, yes, they are a blast to shoot. Congrats on a good purchase at a great price.

Rick

I’d email Pedersoli. They’ve been good about supplying parts to me in the past.
I did. They responded to tell me they were shut down for the summer but I could contact their USA partner in Amarillo TX.

When I originally tried to order from Pedersoli I could only get euros to come up not US dollars.

I did. They responded to tell me they were shut down for the summer but I could contact their USA partner in Amarillo TX.

When I originally tried to order from Pedersoli I could only get euros to come up not US dollars.
Your credit card should do the conversion to US dollars.

I have been wanting one of these for years and cannot seem to find one now

I have been wanting one of these for years and cannot seem to find one now
I got mine from Dixie. I put in the order then had to wait until it was back in stock for it to ship.

You might try Italian Firearms Group in Amarillo TX. They are the ones Pedersoli suggested I try to get my spring from.

I got mine from Dixie. I put in the order then had to wait until it was back in stock for it to ship.

You might try Italian Firearms Group in Amarillo TX. They are the ones Pedersoli suggested I try to get my spring from.
Good ideas, thank you!

Back