• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Found This Flask in an Antique/Junk Shop

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Percy Tenantry Flask what Rudyard mentioned .
Feltwad

100_1690.JPG
100_1695.JPG

great so it is made of glass? never seen one? makes a lot of sense!! saves running out when needed.is it factory or owner done?

great so it is made of glass? never seen one? makes a lot of sense!! saves running out when needed.is it factory or owner done?
The window was on both sides of the flask and were made of horn and if held up to the light could be seen through which then indicated how much powder was left in the flask These flasks came from a estate in Northumberland UK called Chillingham Castle , They were made approximately 1800,s for the estates militia with the threat of invasion by Napoleon each gun had its own powder flask the one in the image was number 26, The first guns were supposed to be Fergusons breech loaders which later were exchanged for muskets by Purdy' but made in Birmingham also some flasks were horn . Then it was common for large estates to have a militia but the smaller ones the local gun makers supplied the guns etc
Feltwad

Bartram was also a well known maker , this model of flask has been copied over the last few years , although you have a original with the name the reproes have not got the name also yours has the external shutter spring where has the reproes have a internal shutter spring .
Feltwad

Finally had the opportunity to study mine with a glass and found a couple of things.
The spout is adjustable for throw weight by means of moving the upper shutter to different slots and screws. The adjustments are marked for 1 1/4 and 1 1/2.
The leather on one side is embossed with 4 lbs.
The spout is marked "AM Flask and Cap Co".

Had no idea I was getting such a bargain! Just knew I wanted it :)

The window was on both sides of the flask and were made of horn and if held up to the light could be seen through which then indicated how much powder was left in the flask These flasks came from a estate in Northumberland UK called Chillingham Castle , They were made approximately 1800,s for the estates militia with the threat of invasion by Napoleon each gun had its own powder flask the one in the image was number 26, The first guns were supposed to be Fergusons breech loaders which later were exchanged for muskets by Purdy' but made in Birmingham also some flasks were horn . Then it was common for large estates to have a militia but the smaller ones the local gun makers supplied the guns etc
Feltwad
Chillingham is near the Percy seat of Anlwick. I was the guest of Sir Humphrey Wakefield Bart one spooky night .We met in Nelson as I was gunner to an old 9 pounder Gunnade as our black powder club reenacted the 1842 landing of the families as in 1841 the first fleet of three ships carried only men who cleared the land & built houses or' wharies' and survey the streets ect . The company never having seen the site but bought the land off war chief Terapaharah whos raiding warriors had concered the local tribes earlier. He had asked I look at his guns so I did . It is the Wakefields who formed a settlement sceam in various localitys of New Zealand includeing Nelson he came out to portray his ill fated Forebear Captain Arthur Wakefield who was in charge of the Nelson colony in 1842 but all was fine till June 1843 when a mismanaged dispute by the Magistrate over Maori land claims saw a flare up & Captain Arthur was killed by a warrior's tommy hachet . When asked Sir Humphery's view what he thought about his unfortunate forebear He replied "You cant make an omlett without breaking eggs ". He was incensed that the Purdeys where no longer at Chillingham I believe they where rifles rather than muskets they are buetifull guns the sale or misapropratition vexed him . The displayed arms mostly odds & sods , But the 12 c castle was interesting ..Re the flasks well Percy & Wakefield land adjoin (Much of the Harry Potter films are shot at Alnwick castle ) The Percy tennantry had some German rifles rather than Bakers and there are larger horns besides these smaller lanthorn with leather covers ( Not some sepatate window idea Toot .) Many of these came onto the market some years back but Bannerman had some he called' from Nelsons Navy ' pure bumph sales pitch no doubt , I bought mine from a gun shop in Trenton N J .not unit marked though but very tidy . Anyway I digress but only a bit . Great collection Felt Wad.
Regards Rudyard

Last edited:
I see a couple that I perceive to have the silver charger heads rather than brass.
Dixons made some Britannia metal silver looking shot flask tops I bought a pair from some de lux cased double gun set for some Maharajah no doubt one time in Cawnpore. The leather was rotted so I had Ken Steggles make new leather which he did superbly I still have one the mate to it is in Sheffield .
Rudyard

For about 10 years i actively hunted Pheasant with my 12G Pedersoli double. I used an original shot flask like OPs until one of the attachments tore loose. I replaced it with a loose bag type with and Irish charger. That and a repop brass shotgun powder flask(s) served me well until the birds flat disappeared and skunk was the weekly theme. I learned best way to carry both shot and powder flasks was tethered to my bag (but carried in the bag itself when not in use). I learned that after my first brass flask was lost in a field near Knights Landing (ca). It must have gotten snagged on brush. I also have a long shot bag with an Irish Charger. The charger scoops on both are tethered to the bags to avoid loss. I can imagine most gentleman hunters of the day prolly carried both in the pockets of their coats in lieu of a bag.

The Italian 'Irish .chargers are good but the long bag is awkward I made a Y shaped bag so
it sits better I use these sorts mostly . The Flask is an Italian 'Florentine ' brass body but fitted a double shutter flashproof to & fill the gickey embossing with layers of paint then covered it with leather adding an eye at the base so it hangs down & worn so both sit just below the paps works fine .
Rudyard

Leather with a dog embossed both sides. Extrapolating from one of my measures, if used for black powder it might have thrown 60-70 grains. But was it a powder flask or a shot bag?
It seems old, but I don't think so. The screw holding the spout and the funny triangular piece at the base seem modern.
I don't know if there were ever leather powder flasks. Gotta wonder about the powder/ leather interaction over time. And given enough wet weather the leather would be moist.
Anyone ever seen the like?
Without question a shot shot flask. l have a repro just about like it that I bought about 25 years ago.

Why tucking both flasks in your pouch works but when loading on the run after a bird all bets are off!! Preloaded charges using an empty 3" mag shell work well but not as much fun.

Just recently my friend and I bought guns from an estate, included was a couple of flasks. One marked Am Flask & cap. But when Feltwad mentioned the horn flask that made me reach for my camera. I put a dollar next to it for you to judge the size of it. After reading this thread I was surprised that original flasks aren't worth more.

Attachments

• IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    197.1 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    153.1 KB · Views: 66
Thats either a pistol or flint primer.. Leaning towards pistol. Might be worth a bit more due to size but condition may be an issue. Leather shot flasks or bags don't command much for some reason and have gotten them very cheap over the years. Ones on ebay always listed high but not seeing lots of sales and they sit unsold sometimes for long periods of time. Only the rare or ornate ones move.

Latest posts

Back