• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

I Antiqued my Remy (+ Rig)

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well now how-dee, yall?

I decided to antique my Uberti 1858 Remington .44 to make it look more authentic. I stripped the bluing from the metal using vinegar, and used cold blue and steel wool to add or polish away areas to get a very handsome aged effect. I refinished the normal bright red urethane grips by stripping the finish with citristrip, staining with dark brown leather dye, oiling with Tru-Oil, and distressing them. Here is the revolver along with it’s rig:

E7-D29-E8-E-F7-AF-4-F86-8-D4-A-60-A970251-E79.jpg

Looks much better in person. I’m not much of a photographer! The rig was made by Dove’s and Dandy’s wester wear. Awesome rig and good people to work with. I bought the paper cartridge box and cap tin of Etsy. I don’t actually use them, just photo props. I know the knife isn’t period, but goes with the rig I think pretty nicely. This is inside the cartridge box:

60-D0-EFD1-5-FB9-411-D-96-EE-EF3-AAEC77-F24.jpg

The yellow things are what’s known as a “dixie tube”. It’s just a rubber pipe end cap that Dixie Gun Works sells in various sizes. It is semi-waterproof and acts as sort of a modernized paper cartridge. It holds a pre-measured charge of powder (35 grs. of 3Fg Graf’s in this case), a ball, and you can stuff a wonder wad in the top of it. Really cool. A lot more durable than paper cartridges and a snap to assemble, and beats having to carry loose components such as powder flask, ball bag etc. in a small field pouch like this. The pouch also contains a small bottle of Ballistol, a nipple pick, cleaning rag, and tin of caps. This pouch lets me have another dozen shots available in the field with supplies to keep the gun running nicely.

Overall I’m very happy with how this turned out. This Remington has been a joy. I like them more than the Colts honestly. Just though I’d share. Thanks guys! :)

-Smokey

Very well done. I like the antique look, and I also favor a brand new looking pistol too. Imagine how you would feel as a cavalryman, Officer or Peace Officer, admiring your brand new Colts .44 Army.

Well guys i love my Remingtons. I have to admit though i have a fetish for Colts. My rigs are all by Hunter. Fairly cheep from Cabelas. Starting to build my own though. I want one rig i can use different holsters on. I like that cartridge box. My Rems are old, early '80's, but very accurate and reliable. Both are ASP Bealls models. My Colts are all '51 models except one 3" ' 60 snubbie.

Great job on the ageing, good cross draw 'Angel Eyes' rig! I like the Remington design, it has never failed me. The Colt 1860 Army is a beauty too. I also like the Remington .36 Navy model. It holds enough powder to scream for buffalo meat! The velocity of the .36 ball makes it flat shooting and deeper penetrating. Thank you for your post, Smokey, I also like your arrangement of gear and pouch. George.

Great job on the ageing, good cross draw 'Angel Eyes' rig! I like the Remington design, it has never failed me. The Colt 1860 Army is a beauty too. I also like the Remington .36 Navy model. It holds enough powder to scream for buffalo meat! The velocity of the .36 ball makes it flat shooting and deeper penetrating. Thank you for your post, Smokey, I also like your arrangement of gear and pouch. George.
Dunno if the.36 is up for Buffalo meat... buffalo wings maybe? ;-)

Back