• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Found! Proper Felt to Make Wads!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now, this is info I think will be useful! Thanks so much. I've always thought the wonder wads were too dang expensive, and the crisco over the ball messy. I'm storing that lube recipe too-I need to try it out.
Maybe it's time I drug out the ol' Remington New Model Army again. :applause:

Interesting post. Just for info I've been taught and have used for two years a card wad between my powder and .577 bullets in the Enfield and the same betwwen powder and .451 paper wrapped in my Pedersoli Gibbs. Cant say I'm the best shooter but the results are not that bad.

Interesting, justmike.
I've been posting that lubricant and information about the wads for a few years. The Duro-Felt source is new.
I don't shoot a hollowbased bullet in my .50 rifle but over the years I've had others, who do, ask about using a felt wad under the hollow base.
They've been told, by other shooters, not to do so. It apparently isn't dangerous but it does interfere with the bullet "bumping up" to engage the rifling.
Or so other shooters have claimed and passed on.
One respondent claimed finding the hollow-based bullets of his .58 with the wad rammed up into the base, and that accuracy was lousy.
I passed that tidbit along to chiefly avoid having to answer the question.
Perhaps it's an old wives tale. Or perhaps your paper wad is so thin, compared to 1/8 inch felt wad, that it doesn't interfere.
Who knows?
Sounds like a good little project to invetigate sometime ---assuming that someday I own a .58 that takes the Minie' ball.
I can vouch for the wad's usefulness, especially when lubricated with that recipe I've included, in cap and ball revolvers, cartridge guns using flatbased bullets, or under a patched round ball or flat-based conical in the muzzleloading rifle.
Hmmm .. wish I had a .58 wad punch. I'd send you some greased, 1/8 inch wads to try in your .58 rifle.

Interesting, justmike.
I've been posting that lubricant and information about the wads for a few years. The Duro-Felt source is new.
I don't shoot a hollowbased bullet in my .50 rifle but over the years I've had others, who do, ask about using a felt wad under the hollow base.
They've been told, by other shooters, not to do so. It apparently isn't dangerous but it does interfere with the bullet "bumping up" to engage the rifling.
Or so other shooters have claimed and passed on.
One respondent claimed finding the hollow-based bullets of his .58 with the wad rammed up into the base, and that accuracy was lousy.
I passed that tidbit along to chiefly avoid having to answer the question.
Perhaps it's an old wives tale. Or perhaps your paper wad is so thin, compared to 1/8 inch felt wad, that it doesn't interfere.
Who knows?
Sounds like a good little project to invetigate sometime ---assuming that someday I own a .58 that takes the Minie' ball.
I can vouch for the wad's usefulness, especially when lubricated with that recipe I've included, in cap and ball revolvers, cartridge guns using flatbased bullets, or under a patched round ball or flat-based conical in the muzzleloading rifle.
Hmmm .. wish I had a .58 wad punch. I'd send you some greased, 1/8 inch wads to try in your .58 rifle.

FYI....45cal/285grn Hornady Great Plains bullets are a hollow based conical...I shoot them in .45cal x 1:48" TC Hawkens with Oxyoke wonderwads and they're tack drivers

Gato,

Elmer Keith noted that cupped base lead bullets in the big cartridge rifles often retained junk in the base - sometimes this was from a cardboard or fiber wad. For whatever reason, he said a plain base bullet did not seem to be so adversely affected. I use a grease cookie in my paper patch bullets but think your heavily lubed felt wad might be another solution to using messy grease. I also shoot enough C&B that I plan to give Durofelt a call because I am unable to find good felt anywhere else. Thanks very much for the source.

Ahhhhh .. okay out-a-huntin'
You are likely the source that led me to Duro-Felt. I know I saw it somewhere in a message board but, since I regularly visit 20-some message boards each week, I couldn't recall which.
Anyway, if it was you, thanks!

I found the Duro-Felt website last year while searching for a felt source. So far I too am very pleased with their product - definitely worth ordering!! :thumbsup:

BTW I have tried the 385gr Hornady hollowbase GreatPlains conicals out of my Knight both with & without lubed wads and found no difference in accuracy between the two.

I received an email from Ms. Sahita last week. She's been very pleased with the response from shooters, for her felt. She had no idea that shooters would be a market.
Kinda nice to help out a small business.

Took me long enough to get here but thanks, This is what i've been needing to know... Again Thanks for the info. :master:

Duro-felt is out of the 36x54 sheets now. About 2 months before more come in. Still have the 12x24 for $12 (that is about 3 times the price of the 36x54 sheets if you figure price per sq inch)

Back