• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Felt wad idea

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Acohill1

72 cal
Reaction score
Last edited:
One inch is pretty big, and looks to be the smallest size? If you end up having to cut them back, you would've been ahead buying some bulk felt and a hole punch. Come to think of it, you'd have aleady bought the punch ... for the cardboard.

Sorry, though I think your idea would work, I think you'll find out it's not practical.

One inch is pretty big, and looks to be the smallest size? If you end up having to cut them back, you would've been ahead buying some bulk felt and a hole punch. Come to think of it, you'd have aleady bought the punch ... for the cardboard.

Sorry, though I think your idea would work, I think you'll find out it's not practical.
Check the link now I guess I posted the wrong one it should show 3/4in circles now. I ment these... no idea how i got that wrong.

https://www.amazon.com/Playfully-Ev...2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9waG9uZV9zZWFyY2hfYXRm&psc=1

Last edited:
Check the link now I guess I posted the wrong one it should show 3/4in circles now
OK, then, well ...
emily.jpg

Revolvers? Not cost effective but if its snowing and yer chores are done an there's a good Laramie or Rawhide on it would be fun! Not sure what the cardboard would add or subtract from the revolver application? Maybe hold up the flimsy stuff we sometimes try to use?

Just buy one or both of these and you can make wads and over powder cards out of just about anything you want to give a go. I buy rolls of felt off of Evilzon and can make hundreds upon hundreds of wads out of a single sheet.
Amazon.com

Amazon.com
Thanks man I just ordered the 3/4in arch punch. BTW it's good to see another Hoosier here. I'm from the Northside of indy

Blanket weight felt works best for shotguns.
Care to be more specific about that? Did a search and every result is made out of highly flammable and or meltable materials and very thin, 1.4 to 1.8mm thick. The stuff I buy is 1/8" and 1/4" thick and as of yet hasn't started any fires or lined my barrel's with goo. Industrial wool felt.

I simply use Alcan fiber wads - over powder & over shot for my shotguns. Duplicate old-timey paper shotshells. A few cents apiece & won't set the woods afire. A man can use basically anything from belly-button lint to wasps' nests. Or, make your own as suggested. The tighter the seal, the more velocity. Still using Alcan and Herter's wads from the 60's. Bought by the 1,000's. Punches in just about any diameter are available. Have Fun !! I do.

I've got a tin of paper wasp nests and found a good size hornets nest this fall. Now that the memories been jogged I should tear that thing up while it's cold out and make sure there aren't any stragglers in it.
I've not yet tried using any of them. On the board for this spring.

Care to be more specific about that? Did a search and every result is made out of highly flammable and or meltable materials and very thin, 1.4 to 1.8mm thick. The stuff I buy is 1/8" and 1/4" thick and as of yet hasn't started any fires or lined my barrel's with goo. Industrial wool felt.
100% wool blanket material. It's about 3/8" thick or so. I can't remember where I got it. Maybe it was called Mike's shotgun wads. I used to use them in my flint sxs in 18 bore. Wonderfull patterns.

100% wool blanket material. It's about 3/8" thick or so. I can't remember where I got it. Maybe it was called Mike's shotgun wads. I used to use them in my flint sxs in 18 bore. Wonderfull patterns.
Guessing this a reference to Mikes Quality Blackpowder Wads. Easy to do business with and they have good products. Maybe contact them for their suggestions and input. Mikes Quality Black Powder Shotgun – Traveler’s Antiques and Trading

Check the link now I guess I posted the wrong one it should show 3/4in circles now. I ment these... no idea how i got that wrong.
If you are looking for harder felt consider Duro-Felt Products. Get a set of punches (about $10 at HF) and punch out wads until the cows come home.
http://durofelt.com/image_26.html

Last edited:
I have punched thousands of wads out of old felt hats.
Cowboy hats used to be near fee in thrift shops.
Soak them in deer tallow and punch them out, or punch dry.
for a shotgun, I'd maybe use 3 thicknesses. Works well.
A mate gave me a stack of off-cuts when they are trimming new hats to size. These off cuts from brim are about two inches wide.

I use both Durofelt and regular wool felt. And I use the HF punches as others have mentioned. I'll put the punch in my drill press and give it a better edge with a diamond hone. I also use a scrap piece of wood, say 12"-14" of 1"x4", cut the felt to match the board and staple down each end. You can knock a bunch out in no time.

I use both Durofelt and regular wool felt. And I use the HF punches as others have mentioned. I'll put the punch in my drill press and give it a better edge with a diamond hone. I also use a scrap piece of wood, say 12"-14" of 1"x4", cut the felt to match the board and staple down each end. You can knock a bunch out in no time.
The board idea is good

Latest posts

Back