• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Forced Eggs

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flm_shooter

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Found a recipe by Beth Gilgun in an old Muzzleloader magazine for "Forced Eggs". Decided to try it (at home). You hard-boil some eggs, then cover them (shelled) in "spiced ground pork" and fry until done. Slice in half and serve.

I used bulk pork sausage, but had one problem. She cautioned to keep the sausage covering the eggs. Most of my sausage fell off. Only the thickest of the wrappings held. And these took forever to cook.

Has anyone tried this? I find it hard to believe that someone struggling for hours over a wood stove / open fire would deliberately make a two-step process out of a simple meal. If you wanted sausage and already had boiled eggs, why not just fry up some sausage patties?

Dang..and here I though forced eggs were those that the dang commercial egg producers sell to stores..you know...with the pale yellow yolks and having the whites run all over the frying pan. Yuck. I can recall when ya went to someone that had a farm and bought your eggs from them...far better tasting than the manure one gets today at the supermarket.

I've has these called "Scotch Eggs". The easiest way to keep the sausage on the egg is to mix 1 lb of the meat with 2 raw eggs and a little breadcrumbs. Wrap the HB egg with about 1/2" of the sausage, roll the entire mess in crushed corn flakes. Then deep fry. Remove from fryer, allow to drain and cool. Good 'finger food' for the kids or a goor-may meal for us older folks...

Slice in half, cover with some sausage gravy and garnish with some fresh parsley, add some fried potatos and onions to the plate and maybe a couple of buttermilk biskits for soppin up the gravy...

Then reconsider your diet. These things have enough cholesterol to clog yer arterials just READING about them. :crackup:

"Sure tastes good tho"
vic

Vic is dead right on this. When I was in Scotland these
were sold in all the food stores. I got very fond of
them. And they are made the way Vic stated. They can
be carried and stored for some time. When Elk hunting
in the high country a cold biscuit and a Scotch Egg is
a great little meal. Forced Egg never heard of that. You
will never have to force one these on anyone.

Redwing :redthumb:

Windwalker, Yes that would be our term fast food. They
have them in what we would call a Deli-section. They
are coated with rolled oats instead of corn flakes. Folks
over there are not big on corn.
I have always been amazed that they were not more popular
over here. The folks over there are not hung up on the
fat issue like we are. You can also make them in an oven
so they are not fried. Try them great carry food. :imo:

Redwing :redthumb:

Forced Eggs

forcedeggs.jpg

Musketman,

Maybe we should be saying to that chicken, May the Force Be With You!!! :crackup:

TexiKan
-------------
If you continue to do what you've always done, you will always get what you've always got.

You guys got me thinking (and hungry) and I made up a few Scotch Eggs this weekend. I used pork italian breakfast sausage and cornmeal as an outer covering. I baked them as per the instructions I found when searching the net. They turned out great!

I did find that the 15-20 minute bake time recommended left the sausage red, so I ended up baking them more like 35 minutes. I also whipped up some Stumpy's Moose Milk but it didnt taste nearly as good as the forced eggs!

Waturz: What temp did you bake them at?

I baked them in a 350 degree pre-heated oven. I am somewhat suspect of our ovens temperature regulation capabilities though. After 30 minutes or so and being taken out of the oven a couple times, they turned out well.

Man oh man have I been wanting some of these lately. I made 'em for the first time a few years ago and my friends loved 'em. Been begging me for them here lately, especially since I just got a brand new deep fryer as a wedding gift.

I alter the recipe just slightly. Right after shelling the still warm hard boiled egg, I wrap it in cheese. This to me just adds the "missing link" from this recipe.

A few questions on keeping them though for a carry food. How would you wrap 'em to keep for day travel? How long have you kept 'em before? Will they keep out of the fridge for more than a day? We always ate them right out of the fryer, so I never had any to even try and keep, but since they apparently keep well, I might start making them a half dozen at a time and taking them for lunch. Are they that good cold?

I'm gonna have to make me one of these tonight, I think.

Well, finally got around to making them for my friends up here (it was my friends back home I made them for the first time). They fronted the eggs, sausage, and cheese (as per my recipe), and I took care of the fryer and breadcrumbs. We ended up making 9 of 'em.

I find that 1 lb. of sausage mixed with 1 raw egg and 1/2 cup or so of breadcrumbs to "congeal" it all will sufficiently cover 3 cheese-coated hard boilded eggs w/ a layer about 1/2 inch thick. I roll the whole thing in breadcrumbs and just use the frying temperature and instructions I find on the sausage. If it calls for 4 minutes per side @ 350 degrees F, I just fry it for 8 total. Never had a problem yet.

My friend's Japanese girlfriend LOVED them. She ate 1.5 by herself, and probably could have polished off a full 2 if there would have been enough left. Haha. Everyone told me that they might have to pitch in and go buy a fryer just so they can start making these ALL THE TIME.

Till then, I guess if I want any to actually keep around, I'll have to make them and not tell anyone.

Certainly was, although about 1/2" of the top of the scotch egg was left above the oil. This ended up being ok, though, since generally you flip sausage anyway about half way through the frying process, so that's what I did. Got all sides just perfect, no un-cooked areas to speak of.

I like to make them in my cast iron skillet at home before an event. My wife really likes the grease spatter! I dont use bread crumbs, but I am intrigued by your mention of cheese! Can you share your version??

Respectfully,

Wes Olson

wes said:
I like to make them in my cast iron skillet at home before an event. My wife really likes the grease spatter! I dont use bread crumbs, but I am intrigued by your mention of cheese! Can you share your version??

Respectfully,

Wes Olson

Basically, it's just like what I posted above. Here it is in a more user-friendly format:

The Ingredients

1 lb. sausage (I like the Jimmy Dean, but have used any number of brands)
4 large eggs
3 slices of cheese (I use American sandwich slices, but want to experiment with others)
Seasoned or Unseasoned Breadcrumbs

The Steps

1. Hard boil 3 of the eggs

2. While eggs are boiling, mix sausage, remaining raw egg, and about half a cup or so of breadcrumbs (enough to make the mixture stick back together, but still be "sticky" enough to pick up dry breadcrumbs for coating). Once mixed, divide into 3 even pieces. Flatten these out until they are round and about 1/2" thick.

3. When eggs are done boiling, run them under cold water enough JUST long enough so they can be handled w/o burning yourself.

4. Place warm eggs on sausage patties. Drape each w/ 1 piece of cheese. Allow the heat from the egg to melt the cheese till it covers the egg top to bottom. This sometimes creates "bald spots" at the top of the egg if it's too warm. If this happens, just pinch some melted cheese off of the bottom and put it on top.

Note: If you like a little more cheese, set the still warm egg on an additional slice of cheese before draping it w/ the normal slice.

5. Wrap the cheese-covered egg with the sausage. To seal, pinch and twist several time along the seam till you can't tell there even was a seam.

6. Take sausage ball and roll it on a plate of breadcrumbs (or your favorite coating) till it is completely covered.

7. Drop Scotch Egg in deep fryer basket and begin deep frying. To figure out what at what temperature and for how long you should deep fry the sausage ball, look at the sausage wrapper for frying instructions. If it says to cook paties at 350 deg. F for 4 minutes on each side, then set your fryer for 350 deg. F and fry the whole thing for 8 minutes, rotating top to bottom half way through.

8. Once frying is complete, drain of grease. Eat right away or wrap in tin-foil and store in the fridge.

Note: I haven't wrapped mine in anything but tin foil, and haven't stored them for more than an a few hours at most (before someone ate them), so additional wrapping and storing suggestions (perhaps for taking into the field) are welcome.

There you go, that's how I do what I do. And thank you guys very much... I'm freakin' starving now. :thumbsup:

Back