• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Scotch Eggs

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Preacher Jeremy

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Deep frying at rondys has become a staple for the me and the misses, and we fry just about everything you can put in a chicken fryer, but our favorite has to be Scotch Eggs. Hard boiled egg encased in pork sausage, dipped into an egg wash, rolled in bread crumbs and deep fried until golden brown. Leave it to the Scots to make something already bad for you even worse, and as we all know the worse something is for you, the tastier it usually is. :grin:

puffer fish cn kill you and kills about 3000 japanese a year. They say to eat the puffer is to die,to not eat it is to have never lived.
Life is too short already to avioid what is good in life for the sake of a few years. I smoke my pipe,sometimes trek alone, eat tasty food...even scots eggs :)

Silly me...I thought Scotch Eggs would have something to do with something in a bottle and aged 12 years! :wink: :haha:

tenngun said:
puffer fish cn kill you and kills about 3000 japanese a year. They say to eat the puffer is to die,to not eat it is to have never lived.
Life is too short already to avioid what is good in life for the sake of a few years. I smoke my pipe,sometimes trek alone, eat tasty food...even scots eggs :)
Eat well, drink well, die happy... :grin:

I start by making a patty, then form the patty into a bowl shape, place the egg into the bowl, and form the sausage around the egg patting it into a ball, much like you were making a meatball. :thumbsup:

http://foodsoftheworld.activeboards.net/farced-eggs_topic2222.html

ScotchEggs.jpg

One of my favorites too.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I was a "wet behind the ears kid", one of my grandfather's friends used to say: "My sawbones told me that drinking white likker was gonna kill me. Then I noticed that there was more old drunks than old doctors, so I took another drink of corn."

I've never had a Scotch egg.

yours, satx

BillinOregon said:
Karl, are those wrapped with bands of pastry?

The person who introduced me to Scotch eggs a looong time ago was a retired Army cook. He used quail eggs (which I still find especially tasty) wrapped in a mixture of ground beef and sausage then wrapped in two strips of pastry dough to, as he said, form a St. Andrew's Cross from which they got their name. Although this makes sense I have never seen anyone else do it. I often just use strips of canned croissant dough. If you cannot find quail eggs locally I recommend using the smallest eggs that you can get.
Stone ground English "pub" mustard or a mustard sauce are especially good with Scotch eggs.

Quail eggs are darn good,
I once kept 30 or so Texas a&m hens here just to have quail eggs.

In laws came to town and I was cooking breakfast. Asked her how many eggs and how she liked them cooked. Served up two quail eggs, sunny side up. They are only about an inch in diameter, cooked that way. We all got a big laugh. The next morning, she insisted she could only eat one egg. Darn goose egg took op a whole dinner platter.

O k beside scotch eggs you can try mexican muffins. Use charazo mixed with pork sausage 50-50. take about 2 oz per muffin hole and push it into a greased muffen pan leaving a depression on top. set into the coals or in the oven at 350.cook until edegs staring to brown then place an egg into the depression.when it starts to whiten pop under a broiler or a salamander in the field until yoaks done...umm good

Just about everything is better cooked in pork fat. McDonald's used to fry with lard, and they had the best fries. Then they got all healthy and started frying in veg oil, (As if that made much difference in the calorie count) and their fries took a turn in the wrong direction flavor wise.
To quote Emeril Lagasse the famous chef,"Pork fat rules!" :applause:

About 6mo ago I started doing all my cooking in butter,lard and olive oil. I dont use pam or margerine.Fry a lot. My colesterol went from 190 to 138 with my good colestrol increasing. Blood pressure went from 135/75 to 110/65,my wieght went from 235 to 205 and I plan to lose about 10 more. Real fats and real foods rule...everything taste better too.
Love them scotch eggs,Iuse jimmy dean wole hog sasuge and bake them with out any breading.

At what approximate temperature and for how long?
(I've found a place that I can buy "flats" of Grade A, SMALL, eggs and CHEAP too, so I'm considering making 3 dozen Scotch eggs to take to "Members Night" next week at BEETHOVEN MAENNERCHOR, our German-American club here in SA. - They sound like GREAT snacks, made in that size.)

Btw, one of our members makes "Chupacabra Eggs" for "Members Night" and those are YUM.

yours, satx

350 about 1/2 an hour or so until the sausage is browing...I'm kind of a seat-of-your-pants cook ,so I just watch em till they look done. the egg is already cooked

Back