• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock vs. Caplock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beaver foot

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hey fella's. I've got a big decision to make and i would appreciate your advice. I have been shooting caplocks for about 18 years now, i have been hooked since the first cloud of smoke and lovin it. I have a awesome gun builder to custom build me a bedford pensylvania, but i have never shot a flintlock,but here lately i have decided that i want one. But with all the problems i read here about them,i'm not sure i want to go the flintlock route, maybe i should stay with the tried and true caplock. Any suggestions on my 2200.00 decision, i would be very grateful for, and thanks so much in advance. By the way,this rifle will be used for hunting,and to shoot at a pc pre 1840 rondy.

Chad,
That's a lot of money to spend if you aren't sure what you want to do. If it's a custom build then you don't have a deadline to make a decision. My reccomendation would be to go to a local club and ask to shoot a flintlock and ask as many questions as you can. It's a decision that YOU should make. Good luck.
Mark :thumbsup:

Tried and true capper? Flintlocks have been around longer and still used for a reason. Once you get used to them, they are "loads" of fun! For hunting purposes, I haven't noticed deer or bear are "more dead" with anything else....... Enjoy the ride! :grin:

Yep, you should try to go and shoot one. Then decide for yourself. Some guys just never will like flinters, other guys love 'em. :idunno:
I find that the more I shoot flintlocks the more fiddlin' with caps aggravates me. I find flintlocks easier to deal with. Some guys are just the opposite.

If there are no flint shooters at your local range, try and get to the NMLRA Spring shoot in June. I guarantee you that you could find someone that would let you try one out. I'll be there the first weekend. :thumbsup:

I aggree. I find the flintlock is easy to use and I have less missfires if I do my part. I guess its all in what you are use to. The flintlock is more fun to shoot in my opinion but others may differ with that.

You've been given good advice. I also consider percussion rifles "quirky" and aggravating sometimes. Shoot one or more of them and see if it's what you like. Flinters are ALL I use.

This is obviously a personal preference. I'd say that if you've been shooting cappers for 18 years, it's time for a new challenge. Get the flinter. Yeah, they take some getting used to and have a different "proceedure" for loading and shooting, but they are a "blast" to shoot. :rotf: I too started w/ cappers and now love flinters. Good luck with your choice.

If you are willing to spend $2200 on a custom built rifle, spend a little more and have him build it with both flint and percussion locks. Or even the same lock and flint cock with vent liner , and percusion drum and hammer.That way you will have both options in one gun! :idunno:

I think you will find a Flintlock a tad bit more fun to shoot. If you are having a custom built, then you can pretty well count on a flawlessly functioning lock. A well tuned flintlock goes off just as fast as a caplock so focus on the sights and the target and you will hardly notice the big puff of smoke in your face. I too am predominantly a caplock shooter but I get to shoot my Son's flintlock sometimes (and I have to admit it is just more fun).

It is all in the lock. I good lock is like heaven, a bad one is like going to hell. Choose a good Chambers lock and chances are you will think you are in heaven. Even at it's worst, it can be tuned up a little and DO NOT hesitate to get that done either. Many other locks are an absolute manure shoot,even when tuned.

I will mirror most of the other posts,with a top quality lock you will not regret your choice of going to flint, you have been in the game long enough to have it in your blood the flintlock will just pump a bit of new life into the sport for you,there are no questions that will arise that you cannot figure out, either by yourself or with help from the many generous members of this forum. have fun and enjoy the journey.

As others have said you should try a flinter first. One that is reliable not a problem lock that a friend wants you to sort out for him. :) Larry

I shot caplocks for years... Kind of started to loose interest... Then a friend sugested that I try a flintlock. Verry soon I learned to deal with flinching, learned to have reliable ignition and really got bitten by the flintlock bug. It is really addictive. I can't be bothered anymore with caplocks... Now ...If I could only figure out a way to put a rocklock onto my Winchester? Anyone???? :surrender: :idunno:

I think every BP shooter should have at least one flintlock.
I love my caplocks. I love my flintlocks. They both have their own characteristics that make them fun to shoot.
Some days I feel like popping caps, other days I want to make sparks.
Own both and you can have the best of both worlds.

You can never own too many muzzleloaders.

HD

Most of what has been stated is true, I built my flint in '06, when finished I sold off my cappers to "force the issue" I will never go back to a cap gun.

A well tuned flintlock goes off just as fast as a caplock
Though this statement was for many years thought to be true, recent tests have proven it wrong. You will have to learn that follow thru is much more important with a flint rifle.

On the plus side, once the flint rifle is mastered you will be a much better shot than your friends that shoot cap guns.

I've been shooting cappers for 20 years,decided to buy a Great Plains flinter to play around with with my pre 1840 buddies,now I have a flinter being built by TVM because,well,I now like the flint locks better.They are much more fun.They are sexier too.I agree though, with most here.Try one first to see if it is for you if at all possible.The flint lock does require practice and good follow through techniques to shoot accurately.

Huntin Dawg said:
I think every BP shooter should have at least one flintlock.
I love my caplocks. I love my flintlocks. They both have their own characteristics that make them fun to shoot.
Some days I feel like popping caps, other days I want to make sparks.
Own both and you can have the best of both worlds.

You can never own too many muzzleloaders.

HD

I agree with you there, Huntin Dawg. I have both flint and percussion too.

:confused: ok I have only used a rocklock for 14 years , and only one bad experience with it, and I wish it hadn't gone off, I launched the ball and rr with 120gr of 3f. go with the flint abd come to the dark side :stir:

You can't go wrong with a rock lock. I switched over 20 years ago and have never regretted it. There's an early learning curve but once you've spent a few days learning the tricks you'll be sold too. I'd recommend you find a flinter and join him at the range for a few hours. :thumbsup:

Latest posts

Back