Flintlock Pistol

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by mnmuzzleloader, Nov 6, 2019.

Help Support Muzzle Loading Forum by donating:

1. Nov 6, 2019 #1

mnmuzzleloader

mnmuzzleloader

mnmuzzleloader

Pilgrim

If a person was going to buy his first flintlock pistol what brand would you suggest for well built and good quality. I'm thinking of a smaller caliber like something between a 32 and 45.

2. Nov 6, 2019 #2

FishDFly

FishDFly

FishDFly

69 Cal.

Pedersoli.

Go to their website and see what all they offer.

azmntman likes this.
  3. Nov 6, 2019 #3

ADK Bigfoot

ADK Bigfoot

ADK Bigfoot

40 cal - b

I have had a few Pedersoli pistols (including my current .50 flint Bounty Hunter) and they are as good as any flint pistol I have tried. For a small flint lock with small flints, they perform adequately.

Adk Bigfoot

4. Nov 6, 2019 #4

mnmuzzleloader

mnmuzzleloader

mnmuzzleloader

Pilgrim

I am looking at the trapper pistols also because of the hook breach for cleaning. Any opinions on them. What are the opinions of custom pistols from the gun works website. I see you can get as small as a 32 cal from them.

5. Nov 7, 2019 at 12:53 AM #5

Stony Broke

Stony Broke

Stony Broke

32 Cal.

I have owned a variety of Pedersoli pistols, and they have performed well for me. Generally I stay in the 44 and 45 caliber mostly as you can pretty much adjust the power rating you want by the loads you use. Getting into smaller calibers seems pretty limiting for me.

6. Nov 11, 2019 at 12:39 AM #6

good ole boy

good ole boy

good ole boy

40 Cal.

Here in Pa.it has to be at least a .50 to legally hunt Deer if that is ever your intention.

7. Nov 11, 2019 at 1:44 PM #7

FishDFly

FishDFly

FishDFly

69 Cal.

The Gun Works makes quality pistols, you cannot go wrong. Only down side you have to wait for them to make them, I waited a year for my pair.

8. Nov 11, 2019 at 2:33 PM #8

Kestrel

Kestrel

Kestrel

32 Cal MLF Supporter

Pedersoli x2

9. Nov 11, 2019 at 4:46 PM #9

hawkeye2

hawkeye2

hawkeye2

58 Cal.

Do you mean the Gun Works Muzzleloading Emporium? Look under used custom guns and buy one built by Mark Horvat. They are new, not used though listed that way for some reason. I bought my wife one for Christmas and for that kind on money I would never bother with any OTC pistol. Forget the Pedersolis, TCs, Traditions, no match. They are great people to deal with too. Cleaning a "fixed" barrel pistol isn't enough more work to make the hooked breech a deciding factor.

10. Nov 11, 2019 at 5:16 PM #10

zimmerstutzen

zimmerstutzen

zimmerstutzen

70 Cal.

Pedersoli makes the best production flint pistols. But it is still a production lock. A trapper from Traditions is reasonable cost, and twice the fuss to fire along with being heavy, clunky and not available at all in small bore as the OP asked. For what a new Pedersoli costs, it is possible to get prime parts for building a custom pistol. CVA, Traditions and other companies pretty much never even started on small bore flint pistols. Even Lyman continues to ignore the possible market in PA where a flint is required after Christmas for Deer. Thompson Center never made a flint pistol. I think back in the 1970's, Navy Arms offered one or two.

11. Nov 11, 2019 at 6:46 PM #11

Erwan

Erwan

Erwan

32 Cal

That's right, in Europe we are invaded by the Pedersoli and for my part I have three of them. OK, thos rifles and pistols are good but at too expansives prices: for the price of some of them you can get a real old one or custom (kit or other) of good quality...
    Ardesa (Traditions for USA) makes pretty good, simples and useful rifles and pistols at a lower price (I've three of them: twoo rifles and a pistol). The real quality of the Pedersoli production is sporting and for target shooting than hunting: the arms are mostly too heavy for hunting...