• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock NON-Fiction Reference

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pintopete

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have been looking for text books that document flintlock rifles and the history of the builder, region, and specifications of the rifles. The region and flintlock rifle that I have been trying to learn about is from the Albany, New York area. Fowling gun info is fairly plentiful, but info on the rifles seems hard to find. Some think there were almost none made, but I don't think this is true. I have purchased a few books and also signed some out of the public library. The information that I am looking for is not so easy to find, but I think there are dribs and drabs here and there. There is some in "Kentucky Rifles & Pistols 1750-1850" by the Kentucky Rifle Association. There is also a little bit in the Flayderman's Guide 4th edition. I have been told that some of Howard Blackmore's books contain some info from close to that region, but did not find anything in his "Guns and Rifles of the World" or "Firearms" books that I signed out oif the library. He has others, but these are apparently not the ones containing the info that I want. If anyone knows of this information in other books please help by pointing me in the correct direction. I would be happy to check the books that I have for information that others may be after. Thanks, Peter.

Try Early American Flintlocks by Hartzler & Whisker, Bedford Village Press, 2000. I've lent out my copy at the moment, so I can't be sure, but it's got a lot of nice photos of guns by region.

New York was generally not a rifle building center until the 19th century. There are a FEW rifles that are earlier and are attributed to New York (they were found in the Oswego area). One is in Rifles of Colonial America, and is number 120 I THINK. It's the "southern" gun with the english panoply of arms sideplate and the hooked breech. The other gun was illustrated by Shumway several years ago in Muzzleblasts. It has somewhat similar architecture, lousy cheekpiece, and a very neat metal box that is supposed to be a later addition. I have been told that there perhaps is another similar rifle (unpublished) that is known that was also "found" in this area...

There is a book on New York guns and gunsmiths that is available, but I do not at the moment recall the title or author. I do know that it is supposed to be a pretty massive work, and it is not inexpensive. If you go over to the American longrifles website and search for New York gunsmiths, you may be able to find the title of the book.

Latest posts

Back