• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Please help, I'm looking for reference books on pre-flintlock firearms

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had the same type pistol in mind for decades now. Except for ebony I have some billets of African Blackwood and some sterling silver. The Blackwood has a logging stamp on one end that says Product of Tanganyika so it appears to be from the early to mid 60's. I'd love to see some pics of what you're planning.
Think style similar to what's in the 440+ pages, octagon barrel filed down, and TRS converted wheellock lock. That should give you a pretty fair idea. Im just starting on the ebony and it's so disconcerting looking at the sawdust (angle grinder/band saw to rough shape) being black as you think the blade is dull and burning the wood!

Tom in nc was right. It’s super frustrating how collecting pre flintlock gun books makes you feel like an ancient scribe hoarding rare texts.

I was able to get the Graz book because I emailed the museum’s german website on a whim and they had 1 left in stock.
I also have the Graz book in English.....I was trying to find another for a friend of mine last month....cannot believe the prices I have seen lately...from $500 to $1000 ???? He found one on-line....did not ask what he paid for it. Crazy, but this high quality massive extremely detailed 3# book is prime research for studying my favorite renaissance period firearm...the wheelock. I actually found it in new condition with paper dust cover at a local library sale rack a few years ago. Check your local libraries! You never know until you try!

Last edited:
TobJohn: Good for you! Maybe you could sell your Graz book to AbeBooks .....amazing! Maybe if we wait a year or two we can retire in style on the proceeds of our Graz book! I think I will put mine in a safety deposit box.....my kiddos will be happy! No, I will just keep it for a great reference and show my wife I did good !

TobJohn: Good for you! Maybe you could sell your Graz book to AbeBooks .....amazing! Maybe if we wait a year or two we can retire in style on the proceeds of our Graz book! I think I will put mine in a safety deposit box.....my kiddos will be happy! No, I will just keep it for a great reference and show my wife I did good !
The one expensive book I can tell my girlfriend is actually an investment, I could never bring myself to sell!

Last edited:
I've had the same type pistol in mind for decades now. Except for ebony I have some billets of African Blackwood and some sterling silver. The Blackwood has a logging stamp on one end that says Product of Tanganyika so it appears to be from the early to mid 60's. I'd love to see some pics of what you're planning.
Just starting to play with the stock shape. For fun I hit the ebony on the buffer, dang! I can't wait to get this together.

Attachments

• 20231221_193948.jpg
    20231221_193948.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
Just starting to play with the stock shape. For fun I hit the ebony on the buffer, dang! I can't wait to get this together.
The Blackwood is the same way. I've cut a few small things on the lathe (metal) and it cuts and leaves a finish like you'd get with soft steel. Probably owing to it being an oily wood. Picture a set of bagpipes. That's lathe cut blackwood. I think the silver against that would look beatiful. Now, if I just had some ivory...., (chuckle).

African Blackwood, kind of bleached out from the flash. Ebony is black black, this in it's raw state has a kind of purple in it. Until the oil hits
DSC02022.JPG
it, then it's black as coal. One pic with the Tanganyica stamp on the end.

Back