• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Please help, I'm looking for reference books on pre-flintlock firearms

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi there fellas, I've been trying to start a collection of good reference books on pre-flintlock firearms, specifically those of 1500s-1600s Europe, but I'm having an awful hard time of it. Just seems like the information is so scattered. So far this is the only one I've come up with, Dutch Muskets and Pistols: Illustrated History of Seventeenth Century Gunmaking in the Low Countries by J.B Kist. My interest is in both military and civilian guns, as well as any information out there on shooting accoutrements from this period such as powder flasks, maintenance kit, etc

Last edited:
I have a plethora to recommend. Are you interested in a general history of gunpowder warfare in the period, or just specifically the guns themselves? Are you only looking for English books, or also foreign books with very good photos?

Hi there TobJohn, thanks for the reply. I'm more interested in the guns themselves. As for the language of the books, I can only read English. But I would like something with good images too.

Richard's advice is wise and most of these books I found from Michael Tromner's posts.

The holy grail:
Landeszeughaus Graz, Austria Wheellock Collection: 9780979553202 - AbeBooks
This book is hard to find for anywhere close to a reasonable price, but has literally hundreds of wheellocks, with multiple angles of each in color. It is also in English, despite looking at an Austrian arsenal.

[The Visser Collection. Arms of the Netherlands in the collection of J.L.Visser. Vol. IV:] Aspects of Dutch gunmaking. A collection of essays. by VISSER,H.L. [Collection]. Visser,H.L. & D.W.Bailey. (eds). | Antiquariaat A. Kok & Zn. B.V.
This book does not have too many good photos, but covers known makers and has a good essay on the invention of the Dutch flintlock.

Le Armi da Fuoco Portatili Italiane dalle Origini al Risorgimento by Gaibi, A: Near Fine Hardcover (1968) 2nd Edition | Wildside Books
If you are willing to get a book in a foreign language, this is the one I recommend. Extremely image dense (mostly black and white) but an excellent overview of the evolution of Italian arms, particularly helpful because most Italian museums do not have online collections. Using google translate through your phone camera is also sufficient to get the general idea from the image captions.

Art, Arms and Armour : an International Anthology. Vol.1 , 1979-80 / Edited by Robert Held by Held, Robert (Ed. ): (1979) First Edition. | MW Books Ltd.
This covers a range of topics, but has a couple good essays on wheellock development and the work of Peter Pech.

Richard's advice is wise and most of these books I found from Michael Tromner's posts.

The holy grail:
Landeszeughaus Graz, Austria Wheellock Collection: 9780979553202 - AbeBooks
This book is hard to find for anywhere close to a reasonable price, but has literally hundreds of wheellocks, with multiple angles of each in color. It is also in English, despite looking at an Austrian arsenal.

[The Visser Collection. Arms of the Netherlands in the collection of J.L.Visser. Vol. IV:] Aspects of Dutch gunmaking. A collection of essays. by VISSER,H.L. [Collection]. Visser,H.L. & D.W.Bailey. (eds). | Antiquariaat A. Kok & Zn. B.V.
This book does not have too many good photos, but covers known makers and has a good essay on the invention of the Dutch flintlock.

Le Armi da Fuoco Portatili Italiane dalle Origini al Risorgimento by Gaibi, A: Near Fine Hardcover (1968) 2nd Edition | Wildside Books
If you are willing to get a book in a foreign language, this is the one I recommend. Extremely image dense (mostly black and white) but an excellent overview of the evolution of Italian arms, particularly helpful because most Italian museums do not have online collections. Using google translate through your phone camera is also sufficient to get the general idea from the image captions.

Art, Arms and Armour : an International Anthology. Vol.1 , 1979-80 / Edited by Robert Held by Held, Robert (Ed. ): (1979) First Edition. | MW Books Ltd.
This covers a range of topics, but has a couple good essays on wheellock development and the work of Peter Pech.
Hi there fellas, I've been trying to start a collection of good reference books on pre-flintlock firearms, specifically those of 1500s-1600s Europe, but I'm having an awful hard time of it. Just seems like the information is so scattered. So far this is the only one I've come up with, Dutch Muskets and Pistols: Illustrated History of Seventeenth Century Gunmaking in the Low Countries by J.B Kist. My interest is in both military and civilian guns, as well as any information out there on shooting accoutrements from this period such as powder flasks, maintenance kit, etc

I have a book by Robert Held titled The Age Of Firearms that has a fair amount of information on what you are interested in. Covers history, development, manufacture, usefulness, pro’s and con’s, and military tactics as well as sporting use of guns of that period and beyond. Black powder guns only. There are no photos, but lots of drawings ( done by Held’s wife that in many examples are as good or better than photos, believe it or not. Lots of period lithographs and engraved copper plate stampings. These are each works of art in themselves.
Used copies of this book are readily available in excellent condition on the internet for about $18 to $30 as of a couple of years ago. One of my all-time favorite books. Got my first copy in the 1970’s. Bought another one in almost new condition 3 years ago for a spare.
The author had a gift for subtle wit that came through in his writings.
Every traditional muzzleloader shooter should have a copy of this book
Buy a copy.
You won’t regret it.

Last edited:
Thanks Flint, I had actually looked at that thread already. But the one in your post that you linked would pre-date what I'm looking for, I'm interested in post-medieval firearms, 1500s-1600s like I mentioned. Thanks anyway though.

I have the same book OTP. I remember paying dearly for it decades ago. It's woefully lacking in the type of details a builder would be looking for but rich in pics. That is if you're only interested in one or maybe two views of any particular gun. Right?'

Good luck to anyone who wants books on pre flintlock guns. They seem to be worth their weight in gold.

Some may be a little more modern but not mentioned yet
The queen anne pistol
Brescian firearms
Spanish military weapons in colonial America
The flintlock
A history of Spanish firearms
Dutch firearms
All these are in english and most are 1600's to early 1700's what I consider to be the golden age as many different ideas were being tried

Tom in nc was right. It’s super frustrating how collecting pre flintlock gun books makes you feel like an ancient scribe hoarding rare texts.

I was able to get the Graz book because I emailed the museum’s german website on a whim and they had 1 left in stock.

Tom in nc was right. It’s super frustrating how collecting pre flintlock gun books makes you feel like an ancient scribe hoarding rare texts.

I was able to get the Graz book because I emailed the museum’s german website on a whim and they had 1 left in stock.
I picked up my graz book years ago. I'm using it now as inspiration on a late 1600's wheellock to flintlock conversion pistol on an ebony stock.

I picked up my graz book years ago. I'm using it now as inspiration on a late 1600's wheellock to flintlock conversion pistol on an ebony stock.
I've had the same type pistol in mind for decades now. Except for ebony I have some billets of African Blackwood and some sterling silver. The Blackwood has a logging stamp on one end that says Product of Tanganyika so it appears to be from the early to mid 60's. I'd love to see some pics of what you're planning.

Latest posts

Back