• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock hunting in Southern California

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I finally purchased a brown bess and i want to hunt with it. Would it be a realistic idea to hunt with it? Im in Sothern California so i was thinking maybe hunting turkey with a load of shot? Im 23 and never been hunting before so please educate me if this is dumb or if there are better ways. I also own a kentucky long rifle and was hoping to hunt larger game with it. But I would have no clue where to start and dont have anyone local that would want to go with me. Could anyone point me in the right direction?

hunting with a brown bess? realistic? you bet! it is it will kill anything you point it at. you can load it with shot for small game or a round ball for large. i am not a bess owner but i am sure others on here will give you some good info shortly. what caliber is your Kentucky rifle? one other thing, always use real black powder. for the bess i would start with 2F , good ol goex will be great,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Check the lead laws. Steel shot or pellets can wreck your bore. Bismuth is safe.
Copper ball will drop any thing you can hit with it.
Shot is good for about twenty five yards. Ball is deadly to thee or four hundred yards but accuracy is deer killing out to about fifty.

Last edited by a moderator:
hunting with a brown bess? realistic? you bet! it is it will kill anything you point it at. you can load it with shot for small game or a round ball for large. i am not a bess owner but i am sure others on here will give you some good info shortly. what caliber is your Kentucky rifle? one other thing, always use real black powder. for the bess i would start with 2F , good ol goex will be great,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
kentucky is 50 cal

Contact Bighorn Canyon Ranch in Riverside. For a few bucks they will guide you on a feral hog or ram hunt. It is a steep, rugged terrain ranch and there are usually a few animals here and there that are quite wild and easily spooked. You can learn about wind, stalking, shooting positions and care of game. For a place to start with a mentor in your area this is one option.

First thing in California you must attend a hunter safety class that’s a great place to start bass pro shops have monthly classes

I remember the hunter safety course I took with the Boy Scouts back in 1957 in rifle canyon just north of NAS Miramar. I think that was the first year that Cal. was requiring the class for first time hunting license applicants. I've taken the course in Ca. Ky. Md. and Az. Not a bad thing to do.

Small game is always a good place to start. Your bess with shot would work fine. Many hunters cut their teeth on small game when growing up in hunting families. I don't know what opportunities you have in your area to hunt rabbits and squirrels. Javelina would be good too, but I guess you'd have to travel to Arizona for those. You already mentioned turkey, which is another good choice. Just make sure you know and follow all the game laws.

One skill that is really necessary when hunting big game is tracking/blood trailing. The best book I own on this subject is Finding Wounded Deer: Tracking Deer Shot with Bow or Gun by John Trout, Jr. It's available at thrift sellers. While some big game will drop right away, or in sight, many will run off into brush or woods where you cannot see if they turned, etc. and you must be able to trail them.

https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/findi...9639d3e400bad59#idiq=10454202&edition=4685845
I would also recommend picking up a video or two on Flintlock deer hunting from Beckum Outdoors. Real Black Powder is probably my favorite, but he also has squirrel and turkey videos. Beckum Outdoors

My best wishes for you in your journey to become a hunter.

I have been hunting since I was 9 or 10 years old (East Tennessee ridge runner). At first we all just go sit in the woods and hope something walks by, many less experienced deer hunters still do just that. they never get a deer because they don't study their quarry and learn.

Start as an observer, don't worry about killing anything. Squirrels are about the best teacher for beginner, they challenge you and teach you what not to do if you want to close the distance to them.

You may also see big game in the pursuit of squirrels, study them, watch what they do and where they go, plan your ambush, build blinds out of natural materials.

Most of all learn to shoot your rifle and smoothbore, you can never spent too much time at the range.

Back