• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock coyotes?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup, they exist,,, and you're in a free state so you can probably use them.
We can't here,,,, roundball only for "small" game....
In Louisiana, the only thing prohibited for hunting coyotes & pigs are WMD's.
Though the ATF does get excited about use of >=20mm unmentionables but they're a bunch of unsufferable killjoys, buzz killers, and stiffs that harsh one's mellow. No one's friends. Probably compensating for being picked last all the time for everything in middle school.
The Parish (Louisiana equivalent to county) Sheriff's do get excited about Tannerite traps due to the sensors around Barksdale AFB and supposedly mass breakage of windows in the past. That is why we cannot have nice things. 🤨

Wondering though about the Maxi-balls. This is getting into the ballistic territory of the old .32-20 WCF cartridge. However, TOTW has a five pack of Hornady .310" balls for $49.99 which gives 500 balls; you just load up, check zero, adjust, and start hunting.

Gut feel is to pass on getting this mold for now. Not excluding it if some Wiley's do run off, but not right now.

Last edited:
Well, I'll be jumped up and down!! Didn't even imagine such existed until you mentioned it!! And a check on the Pedersoli site shows it has a 1:48" twist.

TOTW listing

View attachment 291493
Yup. Haven’t tried any of them yet. Reason why is due to no load data for the Crockett.

There was a video out there of a guy test shooting them out of his Crockett rifle. Then he added in his video of his successful deer hunt using one of those small Maxi Balls.

One of those would certainly go through a coyote if POI is in the vitals area. It’s more than twice the weight of a .310 RB.

Attachments

• IMG_1154.jpeg
    IMG_1154.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1932.jpeg
    IMG_1932.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Check your state regulations.
In most states coyotes are not a game animal or even regulated at all.
they are pests varmints and I think that after people trying to elimimate them for well over one hundred years that it is nearly impossible, they are too smart and resourcefull , wary. So do your best.

Good shooting and much success . Oh yes there is a market for pelts if so incloined.

Blitz
Ummmm,,,, I did.
They are listed as "small" game.
While they have no closed season and no real bag limit, they are listed as small game and a fur bearer. Pelts must be pelt tagged to be kept. As small game legal forearms are shotguns with a limit on max shot size, .22 and .17 rimfire rifles, and muzzleloading rifles no larger than .36 caliber using roundball. All archery gear legal for deer and turkeys is also legal for coyotes.

Each state as we all know has their screwed up laws.
But as far as killing coyotes I've done it with a 22 cal pellet rifle. Which I wouldn't recommend but it works. Their not hard to kill but an extremely wary animal. But yet some times their just plain stupid. But a 32 r.b. is more than enough.

Why are they so concerned with what you shoot them with. Dead is dead. NJ is the same way, You can use a 12 ga slug gun or as big a muzzleloader as you want for dear, but you must use smaller the a 36 or I think rim fire for small game. So it can't be a danger to the public. Do they think somehow getting shot with a 36 is going to give them a sporting chance. Sometimes these people that make the rules have know idea of what there doing especially in these blue states.

@flatcreek yes, it's true that some don't know what they are doing or why for that matter.

In Colorado it's legal to hunt mountain lions with a 22 WMR. It's because most lions are shot at very close range when they are treed. It makes sense. The shots are placed in the brain and it's all over. There was input from lion outfitters and wildlife officers who had knowledge and supported it. But when it came to legal ml guns they just imported the regular big game requirements. 40 caliber and up, minimum 170 grain projectile. Just a combination of ignorance, indifference and a desire to make things easier for themselves.

Well, I'll be jumped up and down!! Didn't even imagine such existed until you mentioned it!! And a check on the Pedersoli site shows it has a 1:48" twist.

TOTW listing

View attachment 291493
I used to use them on squirrels when I first put the T/C Cherokee kit together all them years ago. It dropped them out of the trees well enough but found out that prb's did too.
I have no doubt the conical will drop a coyote, or a deer in 32 caliber. They will probably run a bit before dropping, though. Never tried it, though.

Why are they so concerned with what you shoot them with. Dead is dead. NJ is the same way, You can use a 12 ga slug gun or as big a muzzleloader as you want for dear, but you must use smaller the a 36 or I think rim fire for small game. So it can't be a danger to the public. Do they think somehow getting shot with a 36 is going to give them a sporting chance. Sometimes these people that make the rules have know idea of what there doing especially in these blue states.
My guess is, and this is just a guess here, considering most squirrels are shot out of trees, perhaps they don't want anything larger than a .32 caliber flying up into the air. Although rabbits don't climb trees, you never know the rational of those that writes the F&G laws.

My guess is, and this is just a guess here, considering most squirrels are shot out of trees, perhaps they don't want anything larger than a .32 caliber flying up into the air. Although rabbits don't climb trees, you never know the rational of those that writes the F&G laws.
I think you are on to something there and it is easier to apply that caliber restriction across the board for all things considered small game. The way they right laws and regulations is confusing enough,,, imagine separate regulations for squirrels and rabbits and groundhogs, etc... ?
I find that often the states with a lot of these types of restrictions are small and densely populated.....

for hunting, you might want to consider using the hottest load that gives you the best accuracy. Range will be a little less of an issue and even though they are coyotes, quick results are better results.

Yup. Abolish all the game laws.

Let's see who here is then crying the soonest and loudest about the lack of ethical hunting behavior then the outright lack of game 🙄
Why would you state thsat it was not mentioned or intimated at all.
the discussion was mainly about various game laws that were not based on good game management principals.

Blitz

Yup. Abolish all the game laws.

Let's see who here is then crying the soonest and loudest about the lack of ethical hunting behavior then the outright lack of game 🙄
I opined that if legal in your juristiction it was up to you to
make that distincyion for yourself.
There may be some place somewhere that coyotes are classed as game but people have been trying to get rid of them for over 100 years , and they are more numerous and in more habitats now than ever before.
The only exception being Yellowstone national park, and that being due to the presence of wolves .

Blitz

I opined that if legal in your juristiction it was up to you to
make that distincyion for yourself.
There may be some place somewhere that coyotes are classed as game but people have been trying to get rid of them for over 100 years , and they are more numerous and in more habitats now than ever before.
The only exception being Yellowstone national park, and that being due to the presence of wolves .

Blitz
My comment wasn't about that reply.

Back