• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flintlock coyotes?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Got a Pedersoli Flintlock .32 carbine that I want to take out to trim down the coyotes on the farm. There are several large concrete&brick dumps in washes where they now have dens. Range will be point blank to about 100 feet.

Will a .310” PRB be OK to dispatch a coyote? Pretty sure it will but want to get input from those that have BTDT.

found this on Cast Boolits.

"The Lyman BLACK POWDER HANDBOOK says a .32 rifle with a 26 inch barrel and a 1:66 twist had the following velocity and energy with a .310 roundball and loaded with Goex 3Fg powder:

30 grains = 1940 fps, 376 ft/lb muzzle energy
40 grains = 2072 fps, 429 ft/lb " "
50 grains = 2203 fps, 485 ft/lb " "
60 grains = 2238 fps, 501 ft/lb " "
70 grains = 2273 fps, 516 ft/lb " "

Nice baseline to start from.
Got a magnetometer in the closet that I need to get out and use during load development.

The path continues.

Got a Pedersoli Flintlock .32 carbine that I want to take out to trim down the coyotes on the farm. There are several large concrete&brick dumps in washes where they now have dens. Range will be point blank to about 100 feet.

Will a .310” PRB be OK to dispatch a coyote? Pretty sure it will but want to get input from those that have BTDT.
I have had a number of 32 caliber guns, and I am currently using a flintlock Pedersoli Scout in 32 caliber that works great with the light charges I typically use. With 12 to 15 grains of Swiss 3F or 4F and a patched 1-1/2 buckshot it is deadly on squirrels and targets out to the 30 or so yards that I shoot it. Not quite an inch high at 25 yards, about inch low at 50. Squirrels aren’t that big, tough or aggressive around here so I stick with lighter charges. Have also dropped a number of coyotes with the same load from the backdoor. They typically don’t drop where shot, but haven’t gone any farther than 20 to 25 feet. About the same as with 22RF hi velocity hollow point loads. Shot placement as always is important. The largest of backyard coyotes are maybe 35-40 pounds, but there seems to be an endless supply of them to pick and choose from if you want to be fussy.

I have had a number of 32 caliber guns, and I am currently using a flintlock Pedersoli Scout in 32 caliber that works great with the light charges I typically use. With 12 to 15 grains of Swiss 3F or 4F and a patched 1-1/2 buckshot it is deadly on squirrels and targets out to the 30 or so yards that I shoot it. Not quite an inch high at 25 yards, about inch low at 50. Squirrels aren’t that big, tough or aggressive around here so I stick with lighter charges. Have also dropped a number of coyotes with the same load from the backdoor. They typically don’t drop where shot, but haven’t gone any farther than 20 to 25 feet. About the same as with 22RF hi velocity hollow point loads. Shot placement as always is important. The largest of backyard coyotes are maybe 35-40 pounds, but there seems to be an endless supply of them to pick and choose from if you want to be fussy.
¿What is your experience with loads in the 20 - 50 grain load range?

¿What is your experience with loads in the 20 - 50 grain load range?
I have tried ‘heavier’ charges (20 and 30 grains, as I have fixed measures for both) but to be honest, 12-15 grains works for anything I want to shoot, things like paper, coyotes and squirrels (no more than 25 yards away), and the critters didn’t know the difference, with on game performance similar to a high velocity 22RF. Doubt more than 12 to 15 grains of 4F or 3F (I use Swiss) will improve roundball terminal performance. Just find an accurate load and you will be fine.

Yep, I’m sure it will. My .32 Crockett with a .310 RB and 20 grains of 3F shoots completely through my backstop of 3/4” pine and oak boards that are doubled up. Some hit 2X4’s on top and still went through. That’s from 25 yards.

I would expect a coyote to run a little way but if shot placement is good, I’d say it wouldn’t go far.

Still waiting to drop the hammer on a coyote.

You could try using a .32 maxi-ball. That would dispatch a coyote as that bullet carries more energy being heavier.
Ohio Rusty ><>

This is a .310 RB that was dug out of a squirrel I shot. It was only 1 of 2 that I was able to recover out of 69 squirrels. This one went in through front of the squirrel and was found in a rear hip after it shattered the bone.

It would no doubt be lethal on a coyote

Attachments

• IMG_1318.jpeg
    IMG_1318.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
100 yds a looong shot for a .32 but will kill ok if the hit is good. As others report, 10-15 gr on a tree rat is as or more damaging than a .22 hollow pt.

You could try using a .32 maxi-ball. That would dispatch a coyote as that bullet carries more energy being heavier.
Ohio Rusty ><>
Well, I'll be jumped up and down!! Didn't even imagine such existed until you mentioned it!! And a check on the Pedersoli site shows it has a 1:48" twist.

TOTW listing

lee-32-maxi-6c_1.jpg

Yup, they exist,,, and you're in a free state so you can probably use them.
We can't here,,,, roundball only for "small" game....
Check your state regulations.
In most states coyotes are not a game animal or even regulated at all.
they are pests varmints and I think that after people trying to elimimate them for well over one hundred years that it is nearly impossible, they are too smart and resourcefull , wary. So do your best.

Good shooting and much success . Oh yes there is a market for pelts if so incloined.

Blitz

Latest posts

Back