• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

FLINT vs. Cap???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JEEVES

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Once you go Flint you never go back! At least for me-I love flint. ::

What I don't understand is that Flintlocks seem to take a back seat to caplocks - at least in my neck of the woods. Why? Flint was used for like 200 years to make smokepoles go bang! Percussion caps were used for like only 30 years!

Why do flintlocks cost more? Why do people seem to turn their nose up at flint?

I go into muzzleloading in the late 80's, but only got into flintlocks a couple years ago and I think there's a few reasons...

Muzzleloaders in general don't get much public advertisment to speak of and when they do, inlines are typically shown;

Sidelocks are rarely advertised even in many general hunting magazines, and when they do, percussions are often shown;

Except for the occasional rare article on flintlocks, they mostly remain out of sight, and unless you know someone who has one to show you, an individual usually has to evolve to that point through his/her own interest, etc.

Right or wrong, heavy inline advertisement, and firearms companies jumping on the bandwagon to produce a variety of inlines, sends the signal that if you want to get into muzzleloading, the inline is the way to go;

And if someone does want to try sidelocks, a percussion sidelock does appear a little more straight forward to someone venturing into an area he/she already knows that they know very little about.

Plus there's the notion that newer must be better (must be easier) is driven into our minds even just watching movies...we learn to associate the flintlock way back during the Revolutionary War, and we learn that caplocks were used in the Civil War, almost 100 years later (100 years newer).

Given all the above, the "old", "rarely seen", "seldom advertised", strange looking contraption called a flintlock,
and incorrectly referred to as "flinch-locks", etc, don't get much of a fair treatment and can be intimidating, even at an unconcious level.

By contrast the reason Coca-Cola and Pepsi continue to be the dominate worldwide soft drinks is that they never stop advertsing about them...every day, every week, etc. If sidelocks, flintlocks, etc were advertised as heavily as inlines they would have a much larger following.

I started with an inline, then my overall interest in muzzleloading got peaked and I went backwards in technology to a percussion sidelock, then got away from sabot/bullets to patched round balls, then finally to flintlocks and real black powder...basically now all that I shoot

I agree with all the reasons above, but would add...

Caplocks tend to be cheaper and much easier to use for the beginner.

Most people get into muzzleloading from a "Mountain Man" perspective. At least they used to. Because of that they choose the caplock, even though flintlocks were used all the way through what we know as the Rocky Mountain Fur trade.

Flintlocks were used as a primary firearm in Appalachia and the Ozarks up to almost 1900....for the obvious reason that for those, (us) folks, they worked....and worked just fine. Also...because that's what they had!

Vic

Caps run out, rocks do not...

If you're miles from the nearest store and you run out of caps, you're done hunting...
You can almost always find a sparking rock...

Flint locks have that cool "WHOOSH" thing going with the priming powder going off, cap locks do not...

Caps are a one time use only item, flints can yeild 50+ shots, depending on how you knapp them...

It's a shame that the flint lock isn't the #1 selling muzzleloader style in the world...

How do percussion shooters dispose of their used caps?

I would suspect they would just let them fall to the ground, I don't think I have ever seen anyone any of my percussion shooting friends do otherwise...

I think it would be hard to find the spent cap if it fragments during the ignition process, but if it is left in tact, it could be gathered for proper disposal...

I will say that I have never gave it much thought (until now), and just chucked my used musket caps to the wind...

I left spent patched too, and fiber wads, and lead from missed shots.... :shocking:

AAAAGH! I am not environment friendly ... :boohoo:

Oh, the shame of it all... :redface:

I capture my spent caps in a special canvas sack attached to the back of a glove on my trigger hand.

Then I carefully melt down my spent caps, add tin, pour the molten mixture off onto a plate of heat-proof glass, let cool, and mail the resulting bronze sheet off to the United States Mint so it can be efficiently recycled into shiny, new pennies.

Claude, you might want to embargo this post until April first... ::

But if the Sierra Club comes calling, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Tom

Way to go Morrisey! I save all my used flints and melt them down into dice for underpriveledged manure shooters. Been thinking of making a mould for arrowheads, but haven't gotten around to it yet.... :bull:

P E T A -People eating tasty animals. Spent caps would sure fowl up a metal detector. Rocky /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

To keep us meat hunting meeniess from shooting them poor little animals, we told the P.E.T.A. people if they would hold the paper targets we would shoot them instead. :: :no:

Good one NoPowder. Remember there is room for all gods creatures,right next to the mashed potatoes. Rocky /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Latest posts

Back