• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flint or Perc.?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I too will have to cast my vote with the flint for several reasons.
A flint is slightly more complex to set up but with a little practice this becomes second nature.
A propperly tuned flint lock is just as fast (if not faster) than any percussion.
It is best to learn with a flintlock when just starting out, then if a percussion is in the future the adjustment will be much smoother than if you learned on a percussion first then tried to change to flint.

A little trick to help get used to the "flash-flinch". Take your rifle out just after dusk and pick out a target (top of a fence post etc.), then with NO charge in the barrel, just prime the pan and practice firing a few shots a night for a while. The flash after sunset will be much brighter than in the daytime when you would normally be shooting.

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

flint is fussier than a percussion but will work well if you're willing to work with it and attend to the details

I just finished a southern mountain rifle in 45 cal percussion from track of the wolf. VERY pleased with both quality and service

also, be warned, how long your flints last is a function of what lock you are using. I had a dixie poorboy in 50 cal which got about 3 shots per flint. The lock itself just slammed down busting the flints. Just depends.

Definitely consider the track kits. they will tell you which are easier or harder if you ask

You may want to consider a rifle other than a half-stock for your first build as well; it is my understanding that taking on the underrib on a half-stock is not something a first-time builder should attempt. You'll have an easier time with a full-stock gun.

TANSTAAFL said:
Although I started with percussion several decades ago, the affair did not last long. As the historical aspect weighs heavily with me, I opted for the flinters.

Historically speaking, the nipple guns had a run of only about 40 years, versus over two hundred for the rock locks.

And IMHO, flinters are just more fun.

Since you brought up the "historical aspect", I'll just add for what it is worth that both guns should be percussion--and especially the Hawken--to be historically correct if that is of any interest whatever. The origianl question did not mention any interest in historical authenticity, but personally I am tired of seeing so many flint Hawkens as NONE are known with the exception of one possible one (now 'converted' to percussion). There are plenty of other model rifles that are proper in flint. As to ease of build, the first rifle I built from scratch was a percussion and I did not find that any problem. Although flintlocks are a hoot, I still like percussions and have two and target shoot/hunt with them. They are more reliable in ignition (IMHO after 35 years of messing with MLers). The flintlock has become almost a cult to the point where inappropriate locks are being added to what were always percussion rifles--like the Plains Rifles.

Mike,

I'm guilty. I have a .58 cal fullstock flint Hawken, that I built in 1989. And just had an Ohio rifle made in a flinter. The big gun was made for hunting, the Ohio (.40) for target shooting, so I don't mind not being PC. But I knew the difference on the Ohio. If my few percussion guns were lost, I'd never even notice, except my TC Patriot.

Mike the impression I got from the mention of flint Hawken rifles in this thread was in reference to the full stock trade rifles made by the Hawken brothers when they were still back east before they started making the half stock plains rifle, these were usually of flint ignition.

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

Old man Hawken (Henry) was making guns at the turn of the century and Jacob Hawken was in St. Louis in 1821.
As the Percussion system didn't become popular until the 1820-1830 era, I have no doubt that there were Flintlock Hawkens made.

Back