• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

One more idea on bore cleaning (sorry).

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Apologize for getting off topic on your thread @The Miner '49er and unfourtanly don't have a sacrificial barrel either.
Thanks for looking. Like @longcruise said at the beginning of this thread, there could be big buck$ to be made here. I hope whoever tries this and finds out it works will remember me and cut me in for royalties. ;)

I would be leery of the automatic dishwasher tablets with respect to rifle finish. I have heard of folks that pull the wooden groups off their cap and ball revolvers to cycle them through the dishwasher, so the tablets will probably work. It's just as easy to use any grease cutting liquid dish soap. There's nothing to make after a quick squirt of the soap dispenser in water for some very good cleaning solution.
I did that once, only once. Note to self, not with the dishes😂

@ROA457, other than the exercise of cleaning your revolver in the dishwasher was not repeatable, was there any adverse effect to the finish and did it clean the revolver to answer @The Miner '49er's original question?
I cleaned a suppository pistol in the DW but didn't add soap. Just hot water. In the army some of us were known to take our M14s into the shower for a hot water bath 🛁 😅

Plain and simple I asked if anyone who might have a barrel they don't mind experimenting with might try cleaning it with a solution made from an automatic dishwasher detergent packet dissolved in water. This could be helpful or a flop, but first someone has to try it and let us all know how it turned out.
So are you wanting know if a junker barrel with a bad bore (typical junker barrels have bad bores) cleans up with a solution of automatic dishwasher detergent from a packet? I use EvapoRust for this type of task, which removes the active bore rust, but leaves behind any pits that are in the steel. Cannot imagine automatic dishwasher detergent doing a better job than EvapoRust, a product designed for the task. Or are you asking what happens to the external barrel finish when it’s exposed to automatic dishwasher detergent? I know EvapoRust and other rust removing products also remove bluing, a form of rust. I have a some junker barrels (bad bores) waiting for a possible rebore, though I have none of the automatic dishwasher detergent packets, just don’t use them here. You could always take some of your packaged detergent in solution and apply it to the underside of one of your barrels where any ‘damage’ would never see the light of day if any were to occur. And then you could tell us what happened. Or do you have a different un-stated goal for this experiment?
someone has to try it and let us all know how it turned out.
Pretty open ended ‘experiment’ with no stated or purposed test parameters. What is the scope of this experiment? What is to be used as a baseline? Do you think some will wonder how the stuff would work as a patch lube?

So are you wanting know if a junker barrel with a bad bore (typical junker barrels have bad bores) cleans up with a solution of automatic dishwasher detergent from a packet? I use EvapoRust for this type of task, which removes the active bore rust, but leaves behind any pits that are in the steel. Cannot imagine automatic dishwasher detergent doing a better job than EvapoRust, a product designed for the task. Or are you asking what happens to the external barrel finish when it’s exposed to automatic dishwasher detergent? I know EvapoRust and other rust removing products also remove bluing, a form of rust. I have a some junker barrels (bad bores) waiting for a possible rebore, though I have none of the automatic dishwasher detergent packets, just don’t use them here. You could always take some of your packaged detergent in solution and apply it to the underside of one of your barrels where any ‘damage’ would never see the light of day if any were to occur. And then you could tell us what happened. Or do you have a different un-stated goal for this experiment?

Pretty open ended ‘experiment’ with no stated or purposed test parameters. What is the scope of this experiment? What is to be used as a baseline? Do you think some will wonder how the stuff would work as a patch lube?
@SDSmlf thanks for your interest. Since I previously used a concentrated auto dishwasher detergent solution to successfully clean several metal things I wondered if it might do the same to thoroughly clean a rifle bore after shooting bp. Since I don't have a gun to experiment on I thought that someone might have such a gun, maybe a neglected unloved pistol, and could try it. Another interested poster opined about possible harm to the bluing, which I never considered, but if the experiment is done on something that isn't valuable then that would also be answered. There is no other unstated goal, I'm just curious, that's all. DISCLAIMER: I don't suggest using the solution as a patch lube, wart remover, tooth whitener, or anything else.

@ROA457, other than the exercise of cleaning your revolver in the dishwasher was not repeatable, was there any adverse effect to the finish and did it clean the revolver to answer @The Miner '49er's original question?
Worked perfectly, no issues with finish on the gun. Drying time in the dishwasher good enough to get rid of excess water, a quick spray with your favourite lube and ready for next time.

Just thinking out loud here, and I'm not trying to start another water v. petroleum battle. On a few cleanup jobs I have had excellent results using one Finish brand automatic dishwasher detergent packet dissolved in water to make a concentrated cleaning solution. I wonder if it would work well to cleanup bp guns. I don't want to risk damaging my guns to find out, but if someone has a junker and feels like experimenting, that would be interesting. Anyone?

Easy job made hard again

My two cents worth:
I have a dishwasher, and I never use it. What a stupid and wasteful device! I wish Biden would have them banned. Anyway, my mom had a dishwasher, and I noticed that the colors of certain dishes would fade after a time. The cleaning compounds have some strong medicine that might affect some finishes on wood and steel. One of my old buddies had a stainless .45 automatic that he used to clean in his dishwasher. The in-line crowd might find auto dish detergent appealing.
Lately, I have been using Ballistol for cleaning, and it works fine.

Gunk engine cleaner in concentrated gallon.
Mixed with bottled water works great!
Doesn't harm a finish.

Lemi-Shine makes brass and small parts so nice.
I've been using dishwasher pods in my tumblers.

There's no new cleaning idea . Just new people

I appreciate everyone who has taken the time to reply thus far, but I'm going to jump in here to get the train back on the tracks. My intent was not to start discussing how to clean a ml, or to ask for fav cleaning homebrew recipes. That has been done many times over. Plain and simple I asked if anyone who might have a barrel they don't mind experimenting with might try cleaning it with a solution made from an automatic dishwasher detergent packet dissolved in water. This could be helpful or a flop, but first someone has to try it and let us all know how it turned out.
Hey Miner....try it out yourself and report back your findings. After all, it's just soap & water, right?

For the love of Mike, whoever he is, before anyone else replies, PLEASE hop in the wayback machine and read my #1 and #8 posts FIRST. That's the only way my sanity might be preserved. I can't wait for Frontstuffer070 to get back from the range.

Back