• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flint hunting in SC???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark Nasim

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone know if flintlocks are allowed for deer hunting in SC?
I keep hearing stories that this year there is a change...if what I hear is true, I am going to be really ****** off.......
Does anyone know for sure?????

I have been hunting with one for years, but again, the stories I heard maybe just rumors, but I want to know for sure. I got butterflies in my stomach right now, and am a nervous wreck, becasue if these rumors are true, like I said, I am going to be furiously mad.................It jsut aint fair to use flinters.
I am really starting to take a disliking to these yuppies with their Star Wars inline scope mounted looking blackpowder muzzleloader wanna be's.
Im sorry, but those are not muzzleloaders,but any stretch of the imagination........they are truely missing the sport and what its all about.......I wouldnt be caught dead with one of those damn things........

i wouldnt either they are just like bolt actions with one shot. i heard this somewhere on here "friends dont let friends shoot inlines lol"but yep i hope that that isnt true :front:

Guys,

I read the regulation handout, contacted DNR via phone and have also done a search of the computer version of the regs. I see no significant changes in the use of flintlocks (or any other MLs) for any kind of hunting this year.

What have you heard? From whom?

(Did you fellas annoy the PyroVex shooting, chrome barreled, fiberglass stock, bolt action ML boys into pulling yer chain here?)

For your convenience I include the relevant site for the actual regs:

South Carolina Hunting Regulations

CS

It's my understanding that you can use rifles .36 and larger for deer. .40 and smaller for small game. Shotguns 20 gauge and up. SC doesn't allow black powder pistols though for hunting. I haven't heard of any big changes.
Bimbo

I think it 38 caliber or larger for Deer in SC.... Killed a nice 6pt couple weeks ago with my Matthews in Whitmire. I'm flying flying back for 8 days starting on the 7th. I'll be camping at Greenwood state park... I think.

SP

Bimbo and Brownbess... of course... ya'll are right !!! What do I know ?? I could have swore it was 38, oh well I've been living in Maryland to long.

SP

3.1 On WMA lands hunters may use any shotgun, rifle, bow and arrow
or hand gun except that specific weapons may be prohibited on certain hunts. Small game hunters may possess or use shotguns with shot no larger than No. 2 or .22 rimfire rifles/handguns or primitive muzzle-loading rifles of .40 caliber or smaller. Small game hunters may not possess or use buckshot, slugs or shot larger than No. 2. Blow guns, dart guns or drugged arrows are not permitted. Small game hunters using archery equipment must use small game tips on the arrows (judo points, bludgeon points, etc.). The use of crossbows during any archery only season is unlawful except as allowed by 50-11-565 (see page 30).
3.2 For Special Primitive Weapons Seasons, primitive weapons include
bow and arrow and muzzle-loading shotguns (20 gauge or larger) and rifles (.36 caliber or larger) with open or peep sights or scopes, which use black powder or a black powder substitute that does not contain nitro-cellulose or nitro-glycerin components as the propellant charge; ignition at the breech must be by the old type percussion cap which fits on a nipple or by flintstone striking frizzen or a

No, it has always been minimum of 36 cal. for deer as long as I can remember. I use my .45 most of the time and on occassion my .50 or .54.
I heard the big dogs at the rifle range this past weekend saying that the law was not letting hunters use flints this year because of the dryspell we have had in the last 2 months not getting rain. I will admit though, it sure is dry up here where I live (upstate, but why just ban fliters,why not black powder in general, you get as much sparks coming out the muzzle as you do the pan.How ignorant is that??? Again, this was just them talking,and yes, one of them was sighting in an IN LINE getting it ready for deer season.
its kinda funny, I went to the regular rifle range where I normally practice shooting my flints(not my muzzleloading range), and I was amazed of all the yuppies out there "sighting in" their so caled muzzleloaders getting ready for the season starting Oct.1st.I counted 5 people with inlines ,and one guy with a hawken percussion.
Im pretty certain, that I am the only one at that whole range that shoots a flintlock.I usually have to give a show and tell everytime I go out there to shoot, becasue everybody want to see my babies. Ocassionally I let people try them out one or two times, hoping I will convert folks to shooting a REAL muzzleloader. I did call 2 local gun shops since my original posting, and they havent heard anything of the sort either. And now thanks to CrackStock,he post the regulations site up and I see no changes either. So I am feeling a whole lot better now, as Im sure my babies at home are too. they have put alot of practice in this summer with their daddy preparing themselves for the upcoming season.

Anyone hunt the Sumter National Forest? While I'm home I'll be canoeing down the Tyger River, spending a couple nights on a sandbar and hunting/fishing my favorite spot. I've heard ya'll haven't had any rain all month, wonder what the water level is like.

SP

<<<SC doesn't allow black powder pistols though for hunting.>>>

Quote:

3.2 For Special Primitive Weapons Seasons, primitive weapons in-clude bow and arrow and muzzle-loading shotguns (20 gauge or larger) and rifles (.36 caliber or larger) with open or peep sights or scopes,which useblackpowderorablackpowdersubstitutethatdoesnotcontainnitro-celluloseornitro-glycerincomponentsasthepropellantcharge;ignitionat the breech must be by the old type percussion cap which fits on a nipple or by flintstone striking frizzen or a

Mark,

<<<why not black powder in general,>>>

Shhh -- bite yer tongue! Don't give them any ideas.

<<<you get as much sparks coming out the muzzle as you do the pan.>>>

You are mostly right in that most of the flame is from the muzzle, but the real risk is from a burning patch rather than flashes from the pan or muzzle. The burning patch is a continuing flame which can start a ground fire.

I just got back from hunting on a pretty ridge with some of my flintlocks this weekend. I shot a squirrel and chased my patch, but need not have done so as it did not even smolder. I normally use dry patches, but because of the dry conditions, I used bore butter.

I have readr these regs 4 times and still have not seen any limits regarding a ML pistol. The ban on revolving rifle action is notable and I have been advised the DNR takes the view that this precludes revolver pistols as well, but can anyone get to the bottom of the pistol regs? Are ML pistols allowed at all?

CS

Back