• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Questions on Kibler Rifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello to all,
I'm not sure this post would be in the correct spot, but here goes.
I have shot a fair amount of black powder over the last 25 years or so and I've recently decided to upgrade my main rifle. I have looked around a good bit and am really impressed with Kibler Rifles, thinking heavy on a purchase. I would feel better if I could eyeball one, or maybe even hold one. I have shot with the French broad Rifles before and I will probably contact them also. I know it's a lot to ask, but is there anyone close to Gaffney SC that would be willing to speak with me about their Kibler Rifle. Thinking Colonial or Woods runner.
Thank you in advance,
JHG

I don’t have any expertise at all having just got involved in MLs last year but in the year I have been involved I have probably read a thousand very positive comments about Kibler rifles and Jim Kibler himself and maybe three or four criticisms, and honestly most of them were from people who either made mistakes and needed to blame someone else or were never going to be happy no matter what. You can’t go wrong with a Kibler, kit or finished rifle.

Thank you billyc. I'm looking pretty strong to a kibler, just concerned with it being a right handed rifle and I'm a lefty. Have shot a right handed Flintlock Hawken with no issues. I want to make sure it wouldn't be an issue with the kibler before such a large investment.
Thank you

I live seasonally in Seneca, SC. I have a Kibler SMR, but I don't have it down here, it's at my northern place. Happy to discuss with you at some point, but I can't show you mine. The only question becomes whether you really like the Colonial or the Woodsrunner and whether you see them as good values because they are of high quality, built with the best quality parts and are certainly capable of a high degree of accuracy.

I did help a friend in Simpsonville with a really nice piece of stock wood and he's building his second Kibler with it, an SMR. He has a Colonial I believe and he might be willing to meet with you/me and show it to you over lunch or a cup of coffee some day.

Thank you billyc. I'm looking pretty strong to a kibler, just concerned with it being a right handed rifle and I'm a lefty. Have shot a right handed Flintlock Hawken with no issues. I want to make sure it wouldn't be an issue with the kibler before such a large investment.
Thank you
You being a left hand shooter what could be an issue is both the Colonial and the Woodsrunner Have a 3/16" cast off for a right hand shooter. That could be a problem for a lefty to get over the comb to get the sights lined up. I'm not saying that there is anything bad about the kits but they are built for a right hand shooter.

If you find yourself around Cincinnati before you make a decision I'd be happy to show you my colonial, once it's completed in the coming days. Just waiting for varnish to dry.

Last edited:
That's my concern. I have read some information about lefties and the colonial/woods runner, and some say it's not an issue. I would like to try one myself before spending that kind of money.
Thank you

You can't go wrong with a Kibler product; they're specifically made to be relatively easy to assemble. Some guys over the years have been disappointed to find that some 'kits' need much more skill and work than they thought. Mr. Kibler has a really high quality product, and you are on the right track by wanting to do your research first. Good luck!

You being a left hand shooter what could be an issue is both the Colonial and the Woodsrunner Have a 3/16" cast off for a right hand shooter. That could be a problem for a lefty to get over the comb to get the sights lined up. I'm not saying that there is anything bad about the kits but they are built for a right hand shooter.
As a lefty, growing up in the 50's, I learned to use bolt-actions and flints (play make-pretend stuff!) and to this day can work a bolt or shoot flint or percussion off my left shoulder easily, using EYE protection, of course. Imagine the world if, going back to the earliest human history, half of all persons were lefty, and half righties! The whole world would be "wired" differently!

I can manage all sorts of right handed firearms, just concerned about cast off. Not sure if 3/16" would be that big a deal or not.
Thank you sir

I am in the same boat. Not only does the cast off affect eye alignment it drives some of the recoil into your cheek. I am looking into if it's feasible to the change the cast to neutral or possibly "on" with a little work on the stock?

Not all that familiar with the Kibler models. Does the colonial have any type of cheek piece/rest?

I am in the same boat. Not only does the cast off affect eye alignment it drives some of the recoil into your cheek. I am looking into if it's feasible to the change the cast to neutral or possibly "on" with a little work on the stock?

Not all that familiar with the Kibler models. Does the colonial have any type of cheek piece/rest?
Yes, the Kibler .54 Colonial does have a cheek piece and the 3/16 cast off. I am right handed but left eye dominant and shoot this left handed With no problem. DO wear eye protection though. Fantastic rifle in every way.

I have all of Kiblers guns. The SMR has no cast off. Be aware they are built around the max caliber offered. The .54 Woodsrunner is great to carry. The Colonial .50 is rather unweildy.

Mr. Gray,
my avatar is my Woodsrunner. I am right handed in most things. Except Bamboo fly rods . This is the first long rifle I have picked up that I can "naturally" mount and look right down at the sights. Slightly butt heavy that helps the balance. The wide butt feels fine in the shoulder. I seems light to carry. And it is an accurate rifle. Mine is .50.
I looked at a lot of rifles at ML shows and events. The Kibler is very reasonable in cost. High on quality. Not difficult to build.

But, not left handed. If it was -- you'd already have one and look toward another. I am sure.

Attachments

• IMG_0028.jpeg
    IMG_0028.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0027.jpeg
    IMG_0027.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
I do not have one as SS is a bad limit but I have helped friens that bought many and I would say they are the best kits ever.

Latest posts

Back