• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flax Tow

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

huntdaw

32 Cal
Reaction score
I used the search function and found some sources for hemp tow. I may have missed it in the searching but are there any good sources for flax tow out there?

If you have time to wait, a seller on eBay by the name of Johannes sells some nice flax tow. I just received my order of 1/2 pound (full plastic grocery store bag) but it took a long time to get here. Almost a month

I order a pound of the hemp tow and it arrived in about 2-1/2 weeks - :thumb:

If you have time to wait, a seller on eBay by the name of Johannes sells some nice flax tow. I just received my order of 1/2 pound (full plastic grocery store bag) but it took a long time to get here. Almost a month

I ordered a pound from him and just got it. It took about 3 weeks. Best looking tow I ever bought. I'll continue to buy from him as long as he sells it.

Hi guys, i am new at this, i just joined the group and i would like to know what is hemp tow or flax tow and what is it used for.
Thanks, John

Hi guys, i am new at this, i just joined the group and i would like to know what is hemp tow or flax tow and what is it used for.
Thanks, John
Tow is part of the waste material of making thread from plant stalks. We shall use flax (the seeds also being known as linseed, which should tell you something about eating it) as our example. Flax is used to make linen cloth. The tow is the long fibrous part of the stalk that is too rough and stiff to use to make nice linen thread. That is it in it's most basic form. Hemp stalks would create similar. Many of us have found that pulling apart sisal rope into similar length fibers makes a tolerable substitute.

Thanks, John

It has other uses but it's used to clean muzzleloaders instead of patches. I like to clean, load, and hunt as they did in the fur trade era. I find it more fun, interesting, and rewarding.

You can also go to a hobby shop or hardware store and look for hemp or jute twine. Cut off several three inch or 5 inch sections and fray the twine into the separate fibers. Those separate fibers can substitute for flax. Tow from flax is a bit more coarse and will last longer when used as a cleaning ball.

JUTE /HEMP rope works great and cheap to. if you cant get either of them, can't see why? you can go to a hobby shop or hardware store, or marina and get SISAL ROPE, works just fine. and rely cheap. 10 feet of HEMP, JUTE OR SISAL will last yo 3 lifetimes! I guarantee!.

JUTE /HEMP rope works great and cheap to. if you cant get either of them, can't see why? you can go to a hobby shop or hardware store, or marina and get SISAL ROPE, works just fine. and rely cheap. 10 feet of HEMP, JUTE OR SISAL will last yo 3 lifetimes! I guarantee!.
Thanks, John

I bought a couple of bags of hemp fibre on line. It's everywhere if you do a google search.
I use it in my 75 cal Hakenbusche for packing and for cleaning.
I do get a few smoking wads on the ground from time to time. I add a bit of bacon grease and keep on shooting.
Sure makes for an interesting range, folks trying to find the grill, makes 'em hungry....

Any danger of smoldering tow in breech for those that don't swab between shots with a moistened patch? Swabbing with moist tow would seem to leave fibers in the bore. I demonstrated a fire lighting method by loading 5 to 10 grains of powder in barrel topped off with dry tow or patch and fired. No lead projectile involved for safety's sake. Of course you need a corkscrew jag for the tow, not the modern brass ones for cloth patches.

You could start a fire with just powder too. Ever shoot in the dark and watch the flame that comes out of the bore?

Any danger of smoldering tow in breech for those that don't swab between shots with a moistened patch? Swabbing with moist tow would seem to leave fibers in the bore. I demonstrated a fire lighting method by loading 5 to 10 grains of powder in barrel topped off with dry tow or patch and fired. No lead projectile involved for safety's sake. Of course you need a corkscrew jag for the tow, not the modern brass ones for cloth patches.
Danger of tow smoldering at the breech after the shot? The tow is used as a wad over the powder and I hope the discharge blows all the tow out along with the bullet. If the fouling has built up enough from firing a lot of rounds, there may be an ember in the barrel. By that time the gun will be hard to load and a prudent practice when the gun is hard to load is to run a damp patch or two to pull out the fouling and perhaps smother any embers.

The corkscrew jag is the jag designed for use with tow. However, the modern brass jag has the rough edges to grip the tow as well. I also use a ball of tow tied to a long string. I push the town down the barrel and if it separates from the rod I can pull it out with the string. (Tow and toggle)

Back