• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tow Alternatives

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Walkabout

40 Cal
Reaction score
I can't find actual tow in my area, so I thought I'd try other materials for loading and cleaning my smoothbores. I bought some dried moss from Walmarts craft section. Seemed to work OK, though it did come apart pretty easily. Any recommendations on what else I might try? Thanks

Jute. I make tow from jute string. I cut it in lengths of roughly 4-5” and then unravel those pieces. It’s easy to do and doesn’t take long to make a big pile. When I use it, I’ll roll it into a wad about the same size of the round ball I’m using. Lubing the wad with a little spit makes it go down easier and helps keep fouling soft.

8834B352-84C4-45DE-B1F1-04A4A8663404.jpeg

Jute, sisal, or hemp rope. Process as described above.
I break it down and roll it into balls about the size of the roundballs for my guns, lubing during the process. Stuff a bunch into a small leather bag and go hunting or shooting.

Edit: also make sure what you try is not synthetic. If you hold a flame to it and it melts, don't use it.

Jute, sisal, hemp or manila twine or rope can be cut to 4 to 5 inch lengths and frayed. Of course, the best tow is the waste product when flax is converted into the linen fibers. Tow from flax seems to last longer than jute or hemp fibers and cleans better. The others do work well for cleaning or making of wads and should not be overlooked.

I can't find actual tow in my area, so I thought I'd try other materials for loading and cleaning my smoothbores. I bought some dried moss from Walmarts craft section. Seemed to work OK, though it did come apart pretty easily. Any recommendations on what else I might try? Thanks

If you have a garden, flax (the source of tow/linen) is pretty easy to grow and process. I've done it a couple years and probably have a lifetime supply now. Even a few square feet of it would provide lots of tow. For me, learning what my ancestors did and gaining a true understanding of the process is as much a reason as any -- the tow is just a bonus. Also makes *fantastic* fire starter for your flint and steel, btw.

I played around with Hornets nest material for wadding back a few years. It did work, but time consuming finding and gathering.
And it's even worse if the nest is not yet abandoned! ;)

BTW -- we always had several massive hornet's nests around the barns on our farm -- I suspect because the hornets like eating flies. On numerous occasions when I was standing next to a cow, I would see a hornet swoop down and grab one of the little boogers and fly off. So if you happen to know anyone with a farm that has livestock, the trees around their barns are a great place to check in late fall/winter. I occasionally find them along the edge of a swamp or in the woods, but at nowhere near the density near our animals, manure and tasty flies.

I do think track of the wolf had the tow,,also log cabi? thats a guess or maybe ryan from muzzleloader builders supple,i dont remember where i go mine from but knew I had ordered it

The baling twine around here is mostly Jute, or used to be when I tossed those damn things! Look for jute twine in the craft section or just go to a craft store like Hobby Lobby. They'll have some. Might even be colored green or red or blue! Great tinder for fire starting and seems to work pretty good as a Tow substitute. Not a bad substitute for thread when you need a quick temporary repair to your hunting jacket either. Just read the label, it'll say JUTE on there. I usually cut mine about 6 to 10 inches, put on a long YouTube or stream a show and sit back and "untwine". Won't take too long and you got a pile of the stuff.

One thing you need to keep in mind when buying jute or sisal is that most of what’s sold in America is treated with fire retardant, which makes for a funny joke during friendly fire starting races. 🤣
Probably won’t hurt any for cleaning and wadding, but for firestarter, I always hitch a length on the fence and let it sit for a couple of weeks or a month. While you’re waiting, use lint.
Jay

So now that you have some substitutes, it's time to go into the woods, and while out there keep an eye open for hornet nests. Where it gets cold in winter they vacate and it makes good smoothbore wadding

Paper Hornet Nest.JPG

LD

Latest posts

Back