• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tow Alternatives

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As said. If you have an older hardware store nearby they’ll probably have some old hemp/jute rope stuck back. Couple of years ago I found about 11’ of 3/4” rope on an old spool. I’m set for life.

Also, you can order Tow from Amazon.
Better than winning the Lottery, AND you won't have them purty young Fillies making goo goo eyes at you !

Jute, sisal, hemp or manila twine or rope can be cut to 4 to 5 inch lengths and frayed. Of course, the best tow is the waste product when flax is converted into the linen fibers. Tow from flax seems to last longer than jute or hemp fibers and cleans better. The others do work well for cleaning or making of wads and should not be overlooked.
good info

So now that you have some substitutes, it's time to go into the woods, and while out there keep an eye open for hornet nests. Where it gets cold in winter they vacate and it makes good smoothbore wadding

View attachment 286469

LD
Yeah, I've found a few scraps here and there. I know where there are some full nests, but they're darn hard to get at.

I can't find actual tow in my area, so I thought I'd try other materials for loading and cleaning my smoothbores. I bought some dried moss from Walmarts craft section. Seemed to work OK, though it did come apart pretty easily. Any recommendations on what else I might try? Thanks

If you are interested in using moss I have lots of Spanish moss (not really a moss, it is actually a flowering plant...) available near me. Be happy to stuff a few handfuls in an envelope and send it off.... Send me a PM.

I can't find actual tow in my area, so I thought I'd try other materials for loading and cleaning my smoothbores. I bought some dried moss from Walmarts craft section. Seemed to work OK, though it did come apart pretty easily. Any recommendations on what else I might try? Thanks
Use a rag,

If you are interested in using moss I have lots of Spanish moss (not really a moss, it is actually a flowering plant...) available near me. Be happy to stuff a few handfuls in an envelope and send it off.... Send me a PM.
I brought some spanish moss from Florida to PA and was surprised when it flowered in my kitchen window in spring.

Yeah, I've found a few scraps here and there. I know where there are some full nests, but they're darn hard to get at.

We have what you'd call Hornets nests here in Australia, we call them Paper nest Wasps, theyre nasty little "Bidens" and whenever we Bush boys see them its out with a spray can of Mortien in each hand. The Wasps send out Scouts to suss out nesting sites so a fella always has to be observant and reactive when we notice "the happenings".

Now if I was going to "harvest" Wasp nests for Tow function or tamping down a ML charge, I'd be inviting some Leftard Greenie zealot over to my place to "can you check out that paper looking Bird nest over there....heres a long stick to give it a few taps". After all why not entertain such visitors with reality ?

I have never found actual tow in my area either, and I have checked in all three states I call "my area"; but I have not been without it due to this thing called the Internet.

I prefer hemp as it is courser then the flax I have found.

1lb $3.52 plus shipping
I am still working through the pound I bought....maybe 7 years ago?

https://www.hemptraders.com/F-L2-p/f-l2.htm

Just google "flax tow for sale" and it is everywhere: the Zon, Ebay, Etsy, etc.
Coinneach, there will never be another Judith Durham, God rest her soul.

Our Judith is an icon over here, The Seekers are on the concert road again in March this year.
I met her in person in the mid 90's when we were lined up in uniform before the step off on ANZAC day 25 April in Sydney; she used to make the effort to be there and say hello to the Diggers whenever she was back in Aussie land, Nikky Kidman was the same before she went to the USA.

Latest posts

Back