• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flash hole

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You ain't funny sir. Well, a littlefunny maybe. Don't think I haven't thought about that very thing. Your point well taken. I suppose there is only so much we can do. You are saying why worry about a period correct vent hole when most of our materials and methods are modern? Maybe a shrink could give us both some answers.
well i get a laugh or two, not trying to be funny here though, but what i am saying is who cares? just enjoy what we have now. if old daniel boone had a stainless vent liner or a truck i am sure he would have use them! now you can laugh,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:)

Last edited:
The English were putting in gold or platinum liners in the 18th century. The concept was understood.
I think that was in nipples used in high end guns (Purdy's, Holland and Holland etc. ) but could have been used with flash hole liners I suppose I just have never seen an example of it.
I'm thinking if liners were probably generally a repair item, that platium or gold lining would not have been very practical for general purpose use.

Last edited:
I think that was in nipples used in high end guns (Purdy's, Holland and Holland etc. ) but could have been used with flash hole liners I suppose I just have never seen an example of it.
I'm thinking if liners were probably generally a repair item, that platium or gold lining would not have been very practical for general purpose use.
This is from the great guns by Peterson and Elman, they don’t show a photo, but I’ve seen gold plated pans and touchholes
IMG_6285.jpeg

Ok, you win . I'm a lying dumbass.:rolleyes:

well i get a laugh or two, not trying to be funny here though, but what i am saying is who cares? just enjoy what we have now. if old daniel boone had a stainless vent liner or a truck i am sure he would have use them! now you can laugh,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:)
Yes sir. And if he had an M14, he would have used that. The flintlock rifle crowd of today has varying degrees of how seriously we take it. Perhaps me too much, and you not so much. Its all good as long as we don't push our way on others. Plus, we ought not take our hobbies so far that our playmates are offended. If I did that to anyone here, I was not careful and and i was unkind I'm my thoughts and words.

Sometimes I wish we could all meet somewhere and talk this stuff out in person. I'm certain we wood all come away with a bright new perception of each other, that we are all just good people with a similar interests.

Yes sir. And if he had an M14, he would have used that. The flintlock rifle crowd of today has varying degrees of how seriously we take it. Perhaps me too much, and you not so much. Its all good as long as we don't push our way on others. Plus, we ought not take our hobbies so far that our playmates are offended. If I did that to anyone here, I was not careful and and i was unkind I'm my thoughts and words.
i don't think anybody was offended brother, if they were they will get over it. i like to be authentic also, as much as common sense will allow anyway. but it will never be the way it once was,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

This is an image of an 18th century internal touch hole coning tool. Internal coning was known and practiced.

1690213996727.png

The breech plug was removed, and the tool was inserted to turn the bur in the touch hole to make an internal cone.

Touch hole liners were not exactly common on top line English and other Continental rifles, but the gold and platinum liners were known. Touch hole liners do not show up on rifles and fowling guns made in North America. There was a carryover of the liners into the percussion age as it was believed that a vent was needed or the internal pressure from a percussion ignition could burst the barrel. Once it was sufficiently determined that barrels wouldn't burst, the practice of a percussion vent liner was discontinued.

Seen many 18th century english guns?
No I haven't, care to show and example of a platinum or gold " liner-ed flash hole " gun so I can say I have actually seen one and not just heard that they exist.
A high end gun having the original flash hole platinum/ gold lined probably happened but a gun repaired with a flash hole liner plated with Platinum/Gold I doubt ever happened as a repair item which is the context in which I made the comment.

Last edited:
This is very interesting years ago I visited Keith Casteels shop (at the time was not far from where I live) He was working on a rifle that he had installed a gold touch hole as well as lined the pan in gold (yes, I know perhaps a fantasy build, but very nice gun) A quick search does show an early flintlock pistol with a gold lined touch hole. It is an officer's pistol attributed to English gun maker Joseph Griffin, said pistol is dated to the F&I period. for Reference go to H.L.Blackmores London gun makers writings. Don't fret the small stuff Numb, like I said you have a lot to pass on.

One would even think if the gun was originally gold, platinum touch hole lined and it did eventually wear to the point of needing replaced, the owner would re-place it with one of original build, as to my line of thinking the owner went with a gold, platinum one for a reason and would want to stay that way on the re-placement.

Here's some pictures.

View attachment 239227

Thank you for the photo and taking the time to advance my education rather than being offended at being questioned. I don't remember seeing a platinum or gold flash hole liner before but have read of lined nipples that are used in long range muzzle loading rifles that burn out nipples quickly in the past as well as present.
I still doubt they were ever used to repair burned out flash holes in guns they were not original to.
View attachment 239228

One line is platinum and the other is gold.

I think it would depend on who repaired the burned out flash hole, a highly trained gunsmith or not so much trained gunsmith.

Regardless, they were not unknown.

Yup, @Comfortably_Numb, and you were a contributor to that 5 year old thread that I stole the pictures from.

@M. De Land, whether the liners were used for repair or an original installation, liners did exist. As for repair, as @French Colonial observes, it would depend on the capabilities of the gunsmith. More likely, the bad breech would be cut off and the stock altered to reposition the barrel underlugs.

Back