• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Flash hole

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike in FL

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Does anyone know when flash hole LINERS came into being?Didn't all original flintlock guns just have a hole drilled through the barrel? And didn't they corrode away fairly quickly? If that is true (I have no idea), are we not "cheating" a bit by using stainless steel liners? Do you think the original guns and locks functioned very fast like a quality lock of today?
I think about such stuff because I'm really, really weird. And obsessed with BP guns and history.

Does anyone know when flash hole LINERS came into being?Didn't all original flintlock guns just have a hole drilled through the barrel? And didn't they corrode away fairly quickly? If that is true (I have no idea), are we not "cheating" a bit by using stainless steel liners? Do you think the original guns and locks functioned very fast like a quality lock of today?
I think about such stuff because I'm really, really weird. And obsessed with BP guns and history.
Oh, I should have said my trip to the range yesterday got me thinking about that. I've had a Pedersoli GPR for awhile now and noted that the lock time was a bit slow compared to custom guns with a Siler
lock. Useable, but I though I might improve it. Ordered a new liner coned on the inside, and with a Dremmel, coned it a little on the outside. Also drilled it out to 1//16th. Chamber powder now much closer to pan powder. No perceptible time now between flash and boom. Really a good lock on a production gun. Anyway, I have to wonder if rifles during the golden age enjoyed such perfection.

Mike............I have been looking at originals , and building m/lers for more than 1/2 century , and haven't seen any original flint rifles w/touch hole liners , unless the liners were installed at a later date , as in modern times. All the flint rifles I have built get a touch hole liner . A liner insures fast ignition , as long as the lock is working correctly......oldwood

Oh, I should have said my trip to the range yesterday got me thinking about that. I've had a Pedersoli GPR for awhile now and noted that the lock time was a bit slow compared to custom guns with a Siler
lock. Useable, but I though I might improve it. Ordered a new liner coned on the inside, and with a Dremmel, coned it a little on the outside. Also drilled it out to 1//16th. Chamber powder now much closer to pan powder. No perceptible time now between flash and boom. Really a good lock on a production gun. Anyway, I have to wonder if rifles during the golden age enjoyed such perfection.
By coning and drilling it out, you reduced the accuracy potential.

At 1/16 diameter touch hole, not really likely to be a loss of accuracy. Loss of accuracy will begin when the touch hole opens up to greater than 5/64 and for sure by 3/32. Having quicker ignition generally results in greater accuracy. The stainless steel touch holes last quite a coding.

Historically, there were tools to make an internal cone. While there were few touch hole liners, there was internal coning.

My 1803 has the touch hole drilled (1/16" diameter) in the barrel. I pulled the breech plug and using a burr bit did the internal cone. The Bess has the touch hole drilled in the barrel. It is larger than 5/64, but the accuracy isn't the performance requirement, quick ignition is.

My other flint lock arms have touch hole liners. I am going to accept this departure from period correctness.

Last edited:
I own and shoot flintlocks( modern) that are drilled, internally coned(no liner), and lined with most all the usual suspects as to design. I have experienced no difference in accuracy(<2MOA @ 50 yards), or perceived speed of ignition. IMO, the former and non-stainless/well blended liners look more authentic on customs. I can’t really speak to heat-corrosion of the flash channel, but I have not experienced excess wear/accuracy deterioration, at least with the volumes I shoot with my hunting/practice rifles. I suspect the “iron” barrels of old would wear faster than steel/alloys used in modern ML’s.

Last edited:
Oh no! I never heard that. Prior to working on the liner I was getting 1" at 50 yards. Have I ruined that?
No, you have not. As Grenadier said you have many many shots to shoot before your accuracy will degrade due to any enlarging of the touch hole by shooting.

Some of the best advice I can give most of the newer people on this forum is....

Quit worrying and shoot more.

Last edited:
Say there. I have one of the P built sig. series flinters and have yet to shoot it. Do you happen to have any pics of the lock from the top? I will swear mine has the wrong cock on it hence why it's still sitting in the safe.

how did you take that trip to "the range" yesterday? did you walk? ride a mule? or ride in a truck? is that cheating a bit? LOL, funny how people worry about being all authentic while using everything under the sun modern! including the computer. no offence but yea, we are cheating a bit, it is called modern technology,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I must be weird as well because I have had the same thoughts. My guess is liners came about for flash hole repairs in eroded original barrels and we just use them either preemptively or to enhance performance.

Last edited:
how did you take that trip to "the range" yesterday? did you walk? ride a mule? or ride in a truck? is that cheating a bit? LOL, funny how people worry about being all authentic while using everything under the sun modern! including the computer. no offence but yea, we are cheating a bit, it is called modern technology,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

You ain't funny sir. Well, a littlefunny maybe. Don't think I haven't thought about that very thing. Your point well taken. I suppose there is only so much we can do. You are saying why worry about a period correct vent hole when most of our materials and methods are modern? Maybe a shrink could give us both some answers.

Say there. I have one of the P built sig. series flinters and have yet to shoot it. Do you happen to have any pics of the lock from the top? I will swear mine has the wrong cock on it hence why it's still sitting in the safe.

Here are the pics. If I screw this up I will try again. Keep in mind I'm not a good photographer. If you can't clearly see what you need I will try again.

Attachments

• VID_20230723_181627556.mp4
    35.6 MB
  • VID_20230723_181627556.mp4
    35.6 MB
  • IMG_20230723_181607857.jpg
    IMG_20230723_181607857.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230723_181605411_MF_PORTRAIT.jpg
    IMG_20230723_181605411_MF_PORTRAIT.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230723_181549315_MF_PORTRAIT.jpg