• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tumbler

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike in FL

45 Cal.
Reaction score
What is the tumbler in a flintlock? Yes, I disassembled the lock on my Colonial kit but did not ID each part by name or function. I ask because in another thread someone mentionEd tumblers were not used in the age of flintlocks. So:
1 - what is a tumbler?
2 - what does it do?
3 - did original locks not have them?
4 - if not, were those locks slower than today's?
5 - if they didn't exist then, do you feel like we are 'cheating' by using them?
6 - anyone got a picture or drawing to help me understand what a tumbler does?
I've been shooting flint locks for years but never thought about the guts of locks. I just figured they were the same as back then. Now I'm wondering if the almost instant ignition of a Kibler is inconsistent with high quality locks of 1700 - 1800 guns. I'd hate to think we have better guns now than those made by the master builders of the 'golden age.'.

Screenshot 2023-11-03 at 10.53.06 AM.png

Here ya go!
Tumbler is the control center of the lock, determines full cock, 1/2 cock, and full down throw by it's clock position.
Originals had them, can't say if a lock never had one
Hope this helps
Larry

I don't know where you got that tumbler info,:dunno: but it is the main part that makes the lock function - the rotating axle that the cock is mounted to and is powered by the mainspring.

Hard for me to see the red arrows in the pic above, but it's (I think) pointed to by "AA" in the top pic, and it's under the piece pointed to by "P" (which is called the "bridal"). The tumbler has the notches that the sear engages for half-cock and full-cock. The cock is fitted to the tumbler so as the cock rotates, the tumbler also rotates, and that's how the spring-loaded sear engages it. The main spring puts pressure on the tumbler through a kind of a lever system called the "stirrup", "D" in the top photo, if I'm seeing it right, though it looks a little different there than the locks I've taken apart. The sear engaged in the tumbler notch holds the cock until the trigger engages the sear and lifts it out of the notch, which frees the tumbler to be rotated, along with its attached cock - by the mainspring pressure on it.

The principles aren't that difficult, what always amazes me is the intricacy of the machining involved. That they could make something like that back then without CNC!! o_O

Last edited:
Being the shaft that the hammer/ cock rotates on/with i would think all flintlock would need the tumbler. What article may have said or meant is that early flintlocks may not have a FLY which is recommended for any Muzzleloader with a set trigger to prevent the sear from dropping back into half cock.

I don't know where you got that tumbler info,:dunno: but it is the main part that makes the lock function - the rotating axle that the cock is mounted to and is powered by the mainspring.
What I said is correct, Tumbler is the control center of the lock, determines full cock, 1/2 cock, and full down throw by it's clock position. I didn't say it was total value of the tumbler. Control center and your "main part" seems like we are both talking the same language. Thanks for adding good info.
Larry

What I said is correct, Tumbler is the control center of the lock, determines full cock, 1/2 cock, and full down throw by it's clock position. I didn't say it was total value of the tumbler. Control center and your "main part" seems like we are both talking the same language. Thanks for adding good info.
Larry
I believe ZUG was commenting on the original poster, not your reply.

I got it from a recent thread here, but it seems that person was incorrect. That's where I got confused, thinking original locks were different than today's. Thanks for getting me un-confused.

What is the tumbler in a flintlock? Yes, I disassembled the lock on my Colonial kit but did not ID each part by name or function. I ask because in another thread someone mentionEd tumblers were not used in the age of flintlocks. So:
1 - what is a tumbler?
2 - what does it do?
3 - did original locks not have them?
4 - if not, were those locks slower than today's?
5 - if they didn't exist then, do you feel like we are 'cheating' by using them?
6 - anyone got a picture or drawing to help me understand what a tumbler does?
I've been shooting flint locks for years but never thought about the guts of locks. I just figured they were the same as back then. Now I'm wondering if the almost instant ignition of a Kibler is inconsistent with high quality locks of 1700 - 1800 guns. I'd hate to think we have better guns now than those made by the master builders of the 'golden age.'.
Push up position… begin.

Latest posts

Back