• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tom A Hawks Peep Sight Review............

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Purchased a Tom A Hawks peep sight for my Crockett Squirrel Rifle a couple months ago. I did so due to having a bugger of a time trying to get a clear sight picture due to old eyes. I had tried other options but nothing else worked. After the peep arrived I installed it but due to bad weather and a busy schedule, I was not able to do much testing with it. Well, that all changed recently.

With early squirrel season nearly upon us here in KY, I did my final range testing to zero in my Crockett Squirrel Rifle equipped with the Tom A Hawks peep. Here are my findings thus far.

The peep is of light design yet fairly well built. It hinges so it neatly folds down out of the way. This is a must IMO. However, with the small hinge and thin design it does leave room for doubt as to the longevity of the sight, but only time and use will tell the story.

Adjustability is good and easy vertically.

Adjustability laterally.........I see no real way of making this happen other than perhaps offsetting it slightly. However, due to the fact that with my Crockett Rifle there is only one tang screw to hold the peep base on, if not tightened down well, it has moved laterally a small amount once but I did not have an issue with POI being off. I simply noticed that it did not appear as clear when looking through the peep. I moved the base back over slightly and life was good. With muzzleloaders that has two tang screws for mounting this would not be a factor at all.

I ordered the peep one day and it arrived that same week. So good service there.

With peep sights being so limited for muzzleloaders, the Tom A Hawks peep has saved the day for this ole boy. Prior to installing this peep on my Crockett Squirrel Rifle, my average success hit rate was about 50/50 while hunting squirrels. With the peep it has increased to about 95% if I do my part right.

One final note. I did install a different front bead to accommodate the peep sight. The front bead is of taller and different design. By combining the two, it has made all the difference, and this is real world hunting, which includes poor light conditions.

Attachments

• Tom A Hawks Peep Sight in the upright position.jpg
    Tom A Hawks Peep Sight in the upright position.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11
  • Tom A Hawks Peep Sight.jpg
    Tom A Hawks Peep Sight.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Purchased a Tom A Hawks peep sight for my Crockett Squirrel Rifle a couple months ago. I did so due to having a bugger of a time trying to get a clear sight picture due to old eyes. I had tried other options but nothing else worked. After the peep arrived I installed it but due to bad weather and a busy schedule, I was not able to do much testing with it. Well, that all changed recently.

With early squirrel season nearly upon us here in KY, I did my final range testing to zero in my Crockett Squirrel Rifle equipped with the Tom A Hawks peep. Here are my findings thus far.

The peep is of light design yet fairly well built. It hinges so it neatly folds down out of the way. This is a must IMO. However, with the small hinge and thin design it does leave room for doubt as to the longevity of the sight, but only time and use will tell the story.

Adjustability laterally.........I see no real way of making this happen other than perhaps offsetting it slightly. However, due to the fact that with my Crockett Rifle there is only one tang screw to hold the peep base on, if not tightened down well, it has moved laterally a small amount once but I did not have an issue with POI being off. I simply noticed that it did not appear as clear when looking through the peep. I moved the base back over slightly and life was good. With muzzleloaders that has two tang screws for mounting this would not be a factor at all.

I ordered the peep one day and it arrived that same week. So good service there.

With peep sights being so limited for muzzleloaders, the Tom A Hawks peep has saved the day for this ole boy. Prior to installing this peep on my Crockett Squirrel Rifle, my average success hit rate was about 50/50 while hunting squirrels. With the peep it has increased to about 95% if I do my part right.

One final note. I did install a different front bead to accommodate the peep sight. The front bead is of taller and different design. By combining the two, it has made all the difference, and this is real world hunting, which includes poor light conditions.
Ware do you order this sight from, & how much was it? I'm vary interested in it. I have bought a few Peep Sights also that just doesn't cut the musterd.

Did you use the bolt that come in the gun or one ordered with the peep sight? I'm not sure what the size and threads are on the Crockett bolt.

Did you use the bolt that come in the gun or one ordered with the peep sight? I'm not sure what the size and threads are on the Crockett bolt.
Purchased a longer bolt from elsewhere.

Pretty sure the treads are metric. What I did was go to a supply shop to see if they had one and they measured and told me what size the threads are. I think I got that bolt from that supply store. It was too long so I cut it off to proper length.

Last edited:
I also purchased a folding peep from Tom A Hawk along with 2 extra apertures(.550, .625, and the standard one that it comes with .700). Installed it on my TN mtn hog rifle and went out on probably the last nice day in Wisconsin before winter hits. After adjusting it, I benched the rifle at 50yds and fired a 3 shot group using the .625(1/16") aperture.
I'm 71 and with type 2 diabetes, so you know my eyes are ever so slowly going to manure, to the point where a conventional rear sight is fuzzy at best. So this peep was an answer from heaven (and Jeff) as the target pic can attest! I'm sold!

Attachments

• peep target.jpg
    peep target.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 0
  • peep rifle.jpg
    peep rifle.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 0
It seems one light bump could knock the rear sight off center. Is it held on only by the tang screw?
For my Crockett, it is, in fact, held by only one screw. That screw is the tang thru screw. If tightened down firm it stays put, for the most part. Seldom has it moved and if/when it does, its easily noticed by a quick glance. Easy to notice due to the tang running parallel with the mount. I simply moved it back where it should be and continue hunting. There is room to drill a second hole, drill and tap if one so desires.

I have now put the Tom A. Hawks peep through perhaps more of an honest and very tough field test all year than the average person would put on their ML's in several years. I don't abuse my equipment but they are a tool that gets a lot of battle scars. This includes scratches, dings, are accidently dropped on the ground, fall over when leaning against trees, get drug through and hung up in thick brush, been through several falls in rocky areas and the peep has survived so far.

The only issues I've had with this peep is, as per the aforementioned, and the aperture has slid down out of place twice. After the last time, I placed an index mark on each side of the aperture in the center to tell if it moves again. Its been through many hunts and has remained in place.

As to the overall longevity, only time will tell. I do have my concerns due to the almost daily use it is subjected to. I keep the peep in the folded down position until I'm ready to fire, or think I'm ready to fire. So it gets moved up and down quite a bit. There is a small O-ring in the center of the small axle-like screw that helps maintain the proper position of the peep when raised. That is where my concern is. However, if it were to fail, I would reckon it might be easy enough to locate a new O-ring, and install as well.

If I had to do it over again, and after viewing a video of a guy that installed a taller tang peep sight (such as the type that was used on many old rifles in the 1800's on buffalo guns) on his Crockett rifle, that is what I would most likely do. They are mostly made for target shooting but the aperture could be drilled out larger for hunting use.

Last edited:
As for me, I only target shoot, so to avoid the sight from shifting I fold it down when I load and prime the lock. Then fold it back upright when ready to shoot. That way its harder to bump something thats laying flat on the wrist.

It seems one light bump could knock the rear sight off center. Is it held on only by the tang screw?
The lock bolt that is offered and recommended for use as the tang screw has a 3/8" diameter, flat bottomed head. This screw provides much improved clamping force over an original, counter sunk tang screw. It is also full length and can be cut to the desired dimension.

1702218445117.png

I purchased one of these and have it installed on one of my trade guns, not PC/HC but I don’t care, I want to hit what I am shooting at! Anyway, I have some heavy duty double stick tape and once I decide where the peep needs to be I intend to put some under the base and tighten down the screw. I think it would then take a heck of a whack to move the sight.

I purchased one of these and have it installed on one of my trade guns, not PC/HC but I don’t care, I want to hit what I am shooting at! Anyway, I have some heavy duty double stick tape and once I decide where the peep needs to be I intend to put some under the base and tighten down the screw. I think it would then take a heck of a whack to move the sight.
Some folks can destroy an anvil with a feather!!

Back