• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First time out

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kodiakemt414

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Last Friday I finally got the BP out. Was my first time using one. Man is that fun. Here is the set up. Cabela's Hawken perc. .50, 40grs of BM3, .20 pre-lube patch ( 2 .10, one seemed to loose) and a RB. Don't know the size. Hand made years ago. Old camera tri-pod and a 25yd indoor range. Got about a 2" group. If I'm not driving the Ambulance Friday night will be burning some more powder getting the group smaller. Was having too much fun last time to really sight in. I think that my center fires are going to start collecting some dust.

Oh man, now you went and got yourself addicted, didn't ya?
Looks like you'll fit in well here.

.....and just so we're all clear...there's no cure for "the disease"...it's called "the consumptions".

Way back when, they used that phrase to refer to an alcoholic...but we now know better...muzzleloading can consume you and all you can hope to do is keep it somewhat in check with other BP related purchases!!

Congratulations !!
::

You might want to buy a box of .490 and maybe a box of .495 rd. balls so you know you have the right size. In the Cabela's Hawken i had the .495's worked best with Wal-Mart pillow ticking for a patch. Might be you are using a .44 cal rd ball by mistake. If so, your groups should improve with the right size.

Wait until you shoot a flinter for the first time... you think the disease is bad now! :youcrazy: :crackup:

Wait until you shoot a flinter for the first time... you think the disease is bad now! :youcrazy: :crackup:

Boy that sure is the truth.. This forum got me interested in flinters and smoothbores and now I am really hooked. I think I like shooting the flintlocks the most out of any of my rifles. Although all of them are still a good time.

kodiakemt414: Now that you've gotten your feet wet, don't go listening to those Flintlock shooters (yet).
The Precussion lock is a great system to really learn on (and to use for all of your shooting needs). As ole Zonie said "Thars a reesen em rocklocks fel by tha wayside whan tha invneted em caplocks! Lik it or don' em preecussen guns wal work good fer ye."

When you get to the point where almost all of the balls are going thru one ragged hole, then double the range your shooting at. When you run out of range, then think about a Flintlock (unless your really into upping the challenge rapidly).

As others said, the .490 or .495 dia balls is what you want to shoot, but when it comes to patches, I've found that some guns actually like the thin patches, so don't throw them away.
In theory, the tighter patches should give tighter groups, but you will find that each one of these guns is different. Even in the same brand, so some of them like looser patching.

The 40 grain load you started with is good, but try increasing it to 45 grains and see what happens when you shoot a group of 5 or more shots. Then keep upping the load, 5 grains at a time and shooting a new group with each load.
You will find that at some point, the group will decrease in size, and at higher loads it will increase in size. When you find this load/ball/patch combination, you've found 1 of the guns favorites.
It will have different favorites for different patch thickness or ball size and one combination of load/patch/ball that beats them all.

While your doing this, if you change ANY other component like patch thickness, ball size (and some swear even cap brands) you might have to go back and start the process over. (Sometimes a change will make such a big improvement that you won't have to restart the process, you just have to keep going with the new component.)

Finding out exactly what your gun likes is part of the fun, and when you do find the right combination the accuracy will amaze you.

Have fun shooting and making smoke!!!

Hey Zonie, your advise is great but it is cornfussing about not listening to flintlock people "yet" when your avatar is holding a flintlock. :hmm: Oh yeah, your B-gun is great too.. :master: :thumbsup:

Do as I say, not as I do. :: :: ::

I started on a Flintlock and then bought some caplocks.
The caplock is simple, reliable (if you set the hammer on half cock while raming the ball) and the ignition is about as fast as a cartridge gun.

With a Caplock, there are no flints to set, change, or knap. No frizzens to wipe, pans to prime, vent holes to pick, flashes of exploding powder right in front of your shooting eye, flashes in the pan, no flashes in the pan, small burning sparks falling on your balding forhead...

While the guy on your left pummels you with brass from his AK47, you Flintlock shooters need to worry about things like the Blond sitting on your right, and the possibility of setting her ratted hair on fire....
In other words, it's just a lot easier for Caplock shooters to concentrate on the basics.
You know: measure the powder into a powder measure, pour it down the bore, place the greased or spit wet patch on the muzzle, place the ball on the patch and start it into the bore, ram the ball to seat it on the powder, cap the nipple, pull the hammer to full cock, aim and fire."

I obvously shoot both Flint and Cap lock guns.
If I am going to shoot just for the fun of shooting and making smoke and having people walk the length of the range just to see that strange gun fire, I usually use the Flintlocks.
If I am shooting to see how many balls I can put thru the 1 inch diameter 10 ring, I'll use the Caplock. :)

Back