• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First Rifle Question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FMarion

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Good afternoon all. As I mentioned in my introduction, I am actually completely new to the shooting world, no less the muzzleloader world. This Friday or so I am planning on buying and shooting my first gun ever (will be with my good friend who has been shooting conventional guns for years) and I am in a pickle. I have been told by some to get a modern rifle (preferably a .22) first to learn, but have also heard to opinion to get what you plan on shooting (whether it is a larger round than a .22, like say a .308 or whatever) and learn from there. I can see the merit in both approaches. Part of me, or most of me lol, really wants to get a muzzleloader first as that is what I would rather be shooting most, if not all the time, anyway, as well as it is what I really love. I would like to get everyone's opinions if that is possible, as I am sure most of you have been in the shooting world for quite some time. Thank you all for your time :)

FMarion said:
I am actually completely new to the shooting world, no less the muzzleloader world.
This Friday or so I am planning on buying and shooting my first gun ever (will be with my good friend who has been shooting conventional guns for years) and I am in a pickle.
I have been told by some to get a modern rifle (preferably a .22) first to learn, but have also heard to opinion to get what you plan on shooting (whether it is a larger round than a .22, like say a .308 or whatever) and learn from there. I can see the merit in both approaches.

If you're going to buy modern, and its your first venture, I'd suggest a .22cal as it economical and has virtually no recoil...both important considerations when starting out.
Can be bought on the spot at most any good sporting goods store, etc.

Part of me, or most of me lol, really wants to get a muzzleloader first as that is what I would rather be shooting most, if not all the time, anyway, as well as it is what I really love.

Based on this comment, seems like a muzzleloader would be the way to go...and if you mean a somewhat "traditionally oriented design" ML, it would be rare to be able to find a place you could just walk into and buy one.
In terms of caliber, if it's mainly going to be enjoying shooting at a range, I'd suggest a .40cal (or .45) as they're fairly economical to shoot, excellent accuracy, etc.

But given all the above, I'd suggest a good .22cal bolt action or lever action rifle...get your feet wet...meanwhile decide on a ML, order one if need be over the next year or so and grow into it...enjoy.

:thumbsup:

Welcome to the shooting world!

You would not regret getting into muzzleloading. After learning that, all else will be a piece of cake.

A .50 cal rifle would be a great start. You can load it light with patched roundball until you get the feel of it and then you can load it heavier.

There are a lot of things you need to invest in to get going in muzzleloading. The price may or may not be a deterrent. Certainly modern guns are easier and cheaper to get into. Especially if you start off small like a .22. There are merits to both.

This forum is your one-stop place for everything you need to know about muzzleloading.

Either way you go, let us know. We're here to help you along the way. We even have the non-muzzleloading section where you can discuss the other guns.

Good luck. Shoot straight!

:hatsoff:

HD

Welcome to the addiction! :thumbsup:

I will echo the others here a bit, a good .22LR is a must have for every persons collection, if you want to get the feel for the ML pace get a single shot.

For the ML (the real subject here) Any number of good choices can be had, and the best part is in most cases if you load light with PRB (patched round-ball in case you weren't sure) and the recoil will be almost as light as the .22.

I have seen ML's in pawn shops, and some of the gun stores around here still carry them, but for the most part the gent above is right; you will likely have to order it and wait. If you are lucky enough to have a Bass Pro or a Cabelas in your area they still carry the traditional models as well (I think)

Use that time to do your research, find a ML club in the area and see if maybe one of them would allow you to shoot his or her rifle to get the feel. While your at it, see if your friend would take you out with his modern guns too!

Anyhow, as I said, welcome to the addiction! Have fun, be safe and MAKE SMOKE!

If you can find an ml club near you do visit. See what others are shooting. Get a feel for the avocation/madness/addiction/history/pleasure.
Only you can decide. If you are interested in only target shooting, I suggest a .40 cal in a style that fits you.
To learn shooting, a .22 is almost a 'must' in ones collection.
Contact the National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association a/k/a NMLRA http://www.nmlra.org/
for clubs that might be near you.

Last edited by a moderator:
a modern 22 iw a good start. Low cost to shoot, loacally available and nice to have around. But for pure pleasure there is nothing to compare to the smell of black powder. Shooting black powder guns have a longer learning curve than modern , but the trip is well worth it. As recomended look for a local club to visit and get hands on experience and advice. :idunno:

welcome to the shooting community, and welcome to muzzle loading. I would get a .22, which is inexpensive to shoot, and is a good platform from which to learn basics like sight picture and trigger control. You need not spend a boatload of your hard earned, over taxed God- entrusted dollars (unless you really want to), and a modest little .22 will give you many hours of relaxation and enjoyment.

when my children were getting to the age where kids need to learn how to shoot (as I told both my girls: never really trust a man who can't ride, can't cook, or can't shoot: there's probably a bunch of other stuff he can't do very well, either. ... thought my wife would swallow her tongue) i thought of going right to flintlocks, but decided against it, and went the .22 route... glad i did. it turned out that neither of them really caught the shooting bug as I did, but they now can shoot adequately, and if I'd insisted on a muzzle loader, I'm afraid the learning curve would have spoiled it for them both.

Now once you're comfortable with your .22, you should look at a muzzle loader, because cool guys shoot muzzle loaders, and you do want to be cool, don't you? Sure you do!

If you have patience, and you want to have fun, i would recommend a caplock. If you have LOTS of patience and want to have LOTS of fun, try a flinter. Flintlocks are harder to shoot, require more finesse, need more careful attention: flint condition, priming, frizzen, all that sort of stuff. But once you get a flinter up and running, they're a bunch more fun. (mind you, this is just one guy's opinion, and no doubt worth what you just paid to get it.)

If cost is an issue, you should take a look at either a Lyman GPR (Great Plains Rifle) or a Thompson Center in one of their several "Hawken" patterns. Neither of these guns is what you will see referred to as HC or PC (Historically Correct or Period Correct), but either will give you excellent value for your money. I still own the Thompson Center that I bought in the early eighties, and it's served me well, and will serve my heirs as well. You will find some good bargains on the Classified section of this website, by the way. Most likely you'll end up with a .45 or .50 caliber, since these are the most common calibers for factory built rifles. If you 'take the plunge' and have a gun built, or build one yourself, you can of course get any caliber you want.

For now, however, I would recommend a .22. Don't forget a few bricks of decent ammo, a cleaning kit, a case, targets, a good staple gun, a roll of duct tape (I'm in Vermont- we never go anywhere without duct tape), and whatever gunlocks or safety stuff you local laws mandate.

By the way, you should (if you haven't already), join the NRA and the NMLRA. Again, what groups you join is ultimately up to you, but they do stand up to those who would repeal the Second Ammendment and confiscate the entire contents of our gunsafes.

Good luck, and make good smoke!

You didn't mention this, but if there is any cash flow issues, I'd get the ML first. If you can afford both, the .22 is a great place to start. I agree with most of whats already been said. But was thinking if I only had a fixed bit of cash to buy my rifle with - I'd get the ML first.

Thank you all for the advice. I have to say that money is somewhat of an issue, but not severe or major one. I tallied up the responses of ML vs .22, including the ones that have a double response of either first depending, and came up with a 6 to 4 for ML. Being this is my first gun, this is quite the pickle of a choice between economical modern .22 and my love of history and tradition, lol. I do not mind the learning curve of a ML compared to a modern rifle; its all part of the fun and being a part of the history as I see it. Back in the day, everyone learned on one. This is also not to say that in the future, once I get some sort of collection going, that I do not want any modern guns. Perhaps my dream modern rifle is the Springfield M1-A. I shall give this a little more thought today and tonight, and hopefully come to a decision for tomorrow. Any further advice is greatly welcome. Thank you again.

Also, in regards to a possible first ML, I have seen Lyman and Thomson Center mentioned, but how is the quality of Traditions Firearms? Their PA is endorsed by The Brigade of the American Revolution for historical accuracy.

My Hawken is made by Traditions, I bought in the early - mid 90's. I feel for the money its a fantastic rifle. Mine has always been reliable, and I have never had any issues with it save one: The stock is not sealed under the metal accouterments. So, if you are going to hunt with it and expect rain, take the rifle down to bare wood, (including under any in-letting decorations such as the patch box and barrel wedge fittings) and seal it with an appropriate wood sealant or it might swell like mine did. I got lucky, didn't crack the stock.

I, also, would encourage you to buy a muzzleloader if that is what interests you. However, DON'T buy one from Cabela's, as they are pretty high on the price side. You can get much better deals elsewhere. I would recommend you buy a used one first, as you can get a better deal, and at times with all the extras you may need. I would encourage you to pick up a .36 to .45 cal to start, if mostly for targets and plinking. They are lighter, and cheaper overall to shoot. A .50 cal wouldn't be bad either. One thing that is really fun about muzzleloaders is that you can vary your powder charge from shot to shot as desired for experimentation and load work-up. They are just so much fun to shoot! :v
One thing to keep in mind, is do you have others or a club where you can shoot blackpowder with others?

You can get a low cost,single shot,rifled,multiple pump up, pellet rifle.This would be more akin to loading and shooting a front stuffer, and with very little investment. Can be shot in most basements or backyards with the proper backstop. Shoot more often and cheaper. Just a thought. Welcome to the shooting sports. :stir:

F Marion
Also, in regards to a possible first ML, I have seen Lyman and Thomson Center mentioned, but how is the quality of Traditions Firearms? Their PA is endorsed by The Brigade of the American Revolution for historical accuracy. /quote]

None of the ones you've listed or particularly historically correct.That being said the Lyman and the Tc make very good starter rifles.Send me an email at [email protected] I have a friend in Mastic that is president of the local blackpowder club I will forward your information to him.Also if you don't mind taking a ride to East hampton we can meet up and you can shoot one of my flintlocks and we can talk about your choices.

Mitch Yates

Also, does anyone know where on Long Island that sells more traditional MLers? Like a PA or Kentucky? Id like to get my hands on one for this decision process. Was going to do some shopping today. Thanks guys

Little update for everyone. I went with my heart, and bought a ML as my first. I believe the learning process will be great. I bought a used one as my first, and it is in quite nice condition. I didn't have much to choose from, but being used, cheaper, and a learning gun, it will be awesome. I can save my "dream" guns for when I learn and get good lol. It is a 50 cal percussion T/C Pennsylvania Match Rifle. I am quite excited, and will more than likely be going to the range tomorrow with my friend to shoot for the first time. Perhaps if anyone local is interested we may be going sometime in the mid afternoon. Which range I am not sure; perhaps Ridge or Calverton. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you everyone again for all of you time and suggestions. I am so excited to be a part of this awesome new world :)

I'm 62 and have owned about 100 guns. Had I to start again, I'd begin with a ml and learn every single thing about that rifle --load development cleaning, repair, casting, choice of propellant, sight adjustment/Kentucky windage, etc.

22's are fun but they don't offer the diversity of recreation use that a ml does.

I think you'll be pleased with your choice.

Thank you very much, both of you. Thats how I like to view it. All the possibilities and idiosyncratic make it that much more fun. Its also like if you smoke a tobacco pipe; half of the enjoyment is the process :grin:

Well, I too believe you will truly enjoy that rifle. My first rifle of my own was also a ML, but I didn't tell you that before because I have been firing guns since I was younger than I can recall, you are brand new to all shooting sports.

This is only the first of many firearms you will own, enjoy it! Enjoy the sport!

Back