• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

A question about your local competitions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey guys,
Well I am new to this muzzleloading game. I have been a long time BPCR shooter but a back injury has put me out of that game. I have gone to one competition. It involved shooting steel targets at various distances. It was fun.

Now here is the question. I am thinking of trying to start a competition at my club. What kind of fun things have you seen at any shoots you have attended? I was given a suggestion of shooting a hanging pine cone. I could see that being a problem as they are not all the same size. What have you folks found?

Randy

You are limited only by your imagination. One of the mostest funnest matches I ever was in (and I organized) involved hanging cattle bones from a frame. The ribs were most challenging as the wind caused them to swing making very difficult targets. I'm sure others will chime in here with many other ideas.

We have had a lot of fun shooting condiment packages from fast food places and balloons that really blow around in the wind and playing cards turned sideway is a blast . Also try a short woods walk

Stake shoots are fun and can be a team thing.

Charcoal briquettes hanging on strings.

Eggs hanging on strings. Miss your egg and you swallow it raw. It's an elimination shoot. You could call it a Highlander Match. There can be only one. 🤣

Hey guys,
Well I am new to this muzzleloading game. I have been a long time BPCR shooter but a back injury has put me out of that game. I have gone to one competition. It involved shooting steel targets at various distances. It was fun.

Now here is the question. I am thinking of trying to start a competition at my club. What kind of fun things have you seen at any shoots you have attended? I was given a suggestion of shooting a hanging pine cone. I could see that being a problem as they are not all the same size. What have you folks found?

Randy
Been to plenty of fun shoots. Here are some ideas:
1. Steel silhouette of critters at what ever distance your range will allow. We did 200 meter Rams. and 150 meter turkeys
Hits don't count, got to knock them over.
2.All competitors have a 5 gallon plastic bucket at 50 yards. One shot, but the bullet has to remain in the bucket
3.Everyone has to shoot opposite handed............ If you normally shoot R handed, then ya have to shoot left handed and vice versa
4. All shooters are given two 1" strips of electrical tape to place over their sights. Shoot at a 100 yard bull target at 50 yards
5. Any steel gong that has a big hole in the center. Seems that when I shoot at these that is the only time I hit center 😂
Larry

Double-bitted axe head in a log with a clay pigeon on each side hanging on nails. split the ball and break both pigeons or just shoot one pigeon. Splitting the ball and breaking both was a double score. A one-shot stage.

You can stick plaster laths upright in the ground & see who cuts theirs in half first. (least number of shots)

Bullseye target held onto the back stop with a roofing nail.Targets scored from the center of holes, not cutting scoring rings to eliminate advantage of larger caliber. IF a shooter hits the nail and drops the target - extra points or special prize.

Over 50 years back, at the Maries County fair, They had a 3-shot match with a bulls eye target where the distance from the nail was measured for each shot and the total for all three shots tallied up. The lowest score won.

Really, about anything that won't bounce back or ricochet into the next county's fair game. Have Fun !!!

One of the more fun shoots I did was you had to lay on your back and shoot a target upside down. Not so sure my old bones would allow me to do that now. Another one was placing a saddle over a 50 gallon barrel suspended by ropes. You had to sit on it and load then shoot a target.

Latest posts

Back