• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First Flintlock deer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clovis

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Shot plenty of deer over the years, using bows, shotguns with slugs, caplocks with maxi-balls and maxi-hunters,and some of the unmentionable guns as well and now I have taken a doe with my cabela's blue ridge in .45. That makes it my first flint and my first .45 round ball deer.
If I hadn't been here reading and lurking for so long, I might not have bothered. I want to thank all of the membership and particularly Claude for providing such a usefull site as it has added quite a demension to my hunting I have not had in years.
She weighed in at the meat cutter as 105# dressed, and I had 60grains of 3f behind a .440 ball. She and three others came in at just about sundown and did not offer a side shot until she was at about 10 yards from the tree stand. I did not hit her where I was aiming, but she went straight down with a ball in her neck. I need much more practice as I was trying to hit her behind the shoulder. I got lucky and so did she,she did not run off just hurt.
Anyway, I am happy and will just have to shoot more before I hunt with the rifle again. Thanks all again.

Congratulations...the first is always special!

And if you're like most who take their first with a Flintlock, I predict most of your other guns will start gathering dust so make sure they're well oiled for storage...LOL

:hatsoff:

Good job . Not intentionaly done , still your outcome is little wasted meat . :thumbsup:

It's a great feeling of satisfaction, isn't it? There's nothing like it, IMHO. Congratulations. :thumbsup:

nicely done! i hope to do the same next year with a 58 cal flinter.

now hit the range and practice untell you can shoot a deer in your sleep!

-Matt

nicely done, my biggest fear is that I will get a flintlock and then my other guns will get dusty.

BB:
You can always blow off the dust.I haven't used my Rem 660 .308 in many years.To borrow a phrase, The few, the proud,Theflint gunners! :applause:
Nit Wit

Thanks for all the support folks!
Now if I can get the light bulb screwed in above my head I might be able to figure out why the shot was so far off.
Any way the deer came in, I waited for a broadside shot on the larger doe and as I remember the sight picture looked good and when I pulled the trigger the pan went and I had hangfire for a second or so. I thought I had been able to avoid that, but happened anyway. I also thought I had defeated my flintlock flinch but perhaps not. Since the deer was so close, I have to wonder if it heard/saw the pan go off and did what deer will do called jumping the string with a bow, sort of crouching to start a leap or jump. Or did I just miss my mark?
I'll have to work on it.
Thanks again folks, good luck on your hunts.

Congrats on your first! It's much more rewarding, and "smoked" venison always tastes better than one taken with a suppository gun. :thumbsup:

Good job on your first flintlock deer. Many things could have happened. Maybe you moved from the stock when it didnt go off right away. You will get it right, just practice offhand. Again good job.

Back