• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First Fire - Early Rustic Arms, American Fowler...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DGeraths

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello all,

Recently I reviewed my new Early Rustic Arms .54 cal "American Fowler". Now I can give a review of how it fires...

I spent the last couple of days in a futile hunt for pheasant. Nothing.... oh well. :boohoo: It did however give me the opportunity to try out my new smoothie.

Now I realize that firing shot generally has more of a kick than a ball, but let me tell you, this girl kicks like a mule! I have had well into a dozen different smoothbores ranging in cal. from .40 to .72; I have never had one kick like this one. Granted, this is the first time I have fired shot from a ML so maybe I was just not prepared for it.

The load was 65 grns of 3F, I used the same measure for the shot, Bismuth. The accuracy was not bad, I was getting a great pattern of shot at about 25-35 yards. The timing on the lock/fire was really good, nearly instant flash/bang minimized flinching.

I am very pleased with the gun... just not comfortable with the kick. I am no greenhorn and certainly know how to hold a ML and all of that, but this kick is nothing less than uncomfortable. Like I said, I am sure that a round ball will be much better.

Overall... Look, quality and function, I would HIGHLY recommend Early Rustic Arms. The quality of this weapon is outstanding; just make sure and take some icy-hot with you when you go bird hunting. :hatsoff:

Dana

Glad you like it. I never held that model from ERA. Is it real light? The reason I ask is I just finished building a Tulle in .62 cal. My only intention is to shoot shot out of it for small game and upland birds. Last weekend I took a few squirrel with it using 60grains of 3f and the equivalent volume of #6 lead shot. The recoil was extremely minimal. My brother took a shot also and commented on how light the recoil was. I too was concerned about recoil, but now plan to check how it patterns with 70 grains. I wonder if the better quality shot you were using makes any difference? I wouldn't think powder would matter, but I am using Goex.

I just came in from a walk shooting a 12 guage loaded with 70 grains of RS and 100 grains volume of number fives. It is about 5 pounds loaded and that load kicks, but not real bad. Now 90/120 will kick your brains out. You need to try a 2f powder. There is a noticable difference in the recoil and little ballistic difference out of a fowler. I am using up some old RS thru the shotgun, or I would not be shooting pyrodex.

No doubt weight is playing a big part in recoil but most likely stock configuration is a large factor too. Enjoy your new gun. You wont notice the recoil as much when game is in front of the barrel but you definately dont want to shoot a hundred bird sporting clays course : )

Dgeraths Maybe its your wading? I shoot 75 gr. 2f in my 62 cal.fowler there is some kick but nothing bad. :winking: Rocky

Was shooting my 6 lb. .62 yesterday. 100 grs. 2F
1 5/8 oz. shot (710 grs. + wads)and ,yes, it recoils a little but not enough to bother about.
I think you just need to get used to it.

I would agree with some of the more recent posts... the stock of the ERA "American Fowler" has a steep downward curve to it (my fowler has the same style stock) - I think this does contribute to the felt recoil - I also use 2f - 65-80 gr. depending on the application and the recoil is not punishing by any means.

Back