• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

First 200 yard 6 shot group

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice! I'd really like to get into distance shooting but it seems like 100 yard ranges are all I have access to.

Nice shooting...what style sights are you using? I have my GPR flint, but I know I don’t keep a good hold on targets far out. That’s why I’m thinking about putting a tang/peep sight on a .54 percussion I’m building

I have always been intrigued by the prospect of extending range with my traditional flintlocks and did a lot of shooting in my younger days out to 200 yards. I got pretty good at consistently hitting a 12” target at 200 yards. With a good load, my rifles were capable of exceeding this level of accuracy. I ended up restricting my hunting shots to less then 125 yards due to difficulty with accurate range estimation much beyond 125 yards without the use of a modern rangefinder(which I felt defeated the purpose of my primitive hunting). At 150 yards and beyond I found as little as a 10% error in range estimation usually resulted in a miss on a 12” target. Since those early days,I have found my most frequent and productive practice for hunting and targets to be mostly off-hand, and the use of natural rests, shooting from 25 to 100 yards. I still can resist the exhilaration of the occasional ring of a 200 yard gong!

Actually conicals were common for percussion rifles from mid to later 1800's many rifles came with both molds. A really good read is Ned Roberts "The Muzzleloading Cap Lock Rifle" covers a lot of history, anecdotes and variety of the percussion rifle in America.

20201101_154227.jpg

20201101_154222.jpg

Actually conicals were common for percussion rifles from mid to later 1800's many rifles came with both molds. A really good read is Ned Roberts "The Muzzleloading Cap Lock Rifle" covers a lot of history, anecdotes and variety of the percussion rifle in America.
a guy will take a shower leave his heated /AC house after watching a 72" flat screen get in his 50K diesel F-250 load his gear use a 1000 dollar phone to call his wife and say when he will be home. but draws the line at conical bullets???

Pre 1840 rendezvous do not allow conicals. You dont dress up and play mtn man only to load up with conicals or sabots.

I upgraded to a 54 so i could shoot round ball for hunting and play.

No to conicals.

Pre 1840 rendezvous do not allow conicals. You dont dress up and play mtn man only to load up with conicals or sabots.

I upgraded to a 54 so i could shoot round ball for hunting and play.

No to conicals.
I understand totally about the matches and get togethers. I am just saying as a shooter I used both and with the right combo the conicals shot flatter. give it a try and I promise I will not call the ML cops on you :)

Do you have a rear sight with elevation capabilities or are you relying on an elevated sight picture? The farthest I have had the opportunity to shoot (with my CVA Mountain rifle) was 150 yards. That was doable with the primitive type semi buckhorn on that rifle. It does have a screw that allows for some additional elevation. I would think at 200 I would have to aim above the target. If that is the case, what do you do? Try to find a spot in the background to use as a reference point?

Back