• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Filling the base?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

longcruise

70 Cal.
Reaction score
I got wondering (warning! Untested off the wall idea ahead). Long ago I was shooting Lee hollow base modern minies in a 50 caliber rifle. They shot great .... until I got into heavier charges. I attributed the declining accuracy to the flaring of the skirt.

So, rather than exploring the typical myriad possible causes of declining accuracy, let's assume that flaring was the cause.

Would filling the base with something hard and permanent solve the problem? Plaster? An outside the mold pour of lead? Wood? Anything?????

I got wondering (warning! Untested off the wall idea ahead). Long ago I was shooting Lee hollow base modern minies in a 50 caliber rifle. They shot great .... until I got into heavier charges. I attributed the declining accuracy to the flaring of the skirt.

So, rather than exploring the typical myriad possible causes of declining accuracy, let's assume that flaring was the cause.

Would filling the base with something hard and permanent solve the problem? Plaster? An outside the mold pour of lead? Wood? Anything?????
Before the myriad of answers pour in, I'd like to show my limited understanding here and then learn from the responses as you do.

Doesn't the flaring engage the rifling and is desired? Or are you saying that at higher loads it flares in an undesirable way?

I have filled the base of a 58 cal with hot glue and used a paper wad under it when loading. I did not notice any dramatic change in accuracy at 75 yards and under so I gave up on the idea.
That's an interesting approach. Did you try any hotter loads?

The original French design featured a wooden plug in the skirt …it was discontinued as not required …google minie balls with wooden plugs …there are several videos on it out there

Well I sorta cast mine with something hard and permanent when I cast them. I use lead and now they're called Maxi Balls 😆. They shoot well, hit hard and are accurate. No flare issues as they seal at the top skirt. Just mentioning that there might be an acceptable alternative to your initial question.

The idea of filling the base is as old as the minie itself. What has been found is that it's not effective and can lead to flyers when base plugs don't stay put.

The ONLY way to use heavy charges with a minie is to increase the thickness of the skirt and that will mean you can't use lighter charges with any accuracy.

My advice, don't get on the heavy charge bandwagon and learn to shoot.

Flaring the skirts or damaging them, big difference..

Shooting Minis that have thin skirts, are too under-sized to fit the bore properly or using too heavy of a charge is usually the cause of poor accuracy.
Some early European musket builders attached a steel spike to the breeches that forced the projectile to engage the rifling with ramrod pressure.

Just pretty much repackaging much of what's already said, when you go with stouter charges you're applying more and more force to those bullets. At some point, depending upon the bullet design and diameter, your rifle and rifling, your lube... At some point you go past the sweet spot. Keep going and eventually you'll just totally overcome the bullet.

The hollow based bullets were developed for military weapons' systems. People don't ordinarily think of it that way but really, they went through serious systems' development pushing the envelope to achieve the desired goals. The various nations' armies balanced out the materials and the systems' capabilities. Start changing around the variables just a little and the system crashes.

Latest posts

Back