• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Felt wads with concaved base conicals ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kyron4

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I've used lubed felt wads over powder with great success with flat based conicals like Maxi-Hunter, R.E.A.L. bullets, and Maxi-Ball , but wondered if they will make accuracy worse with a Minie ball style bullet with a concaved based/skirt meant to expand on firing. I have some Hornady Great Plains Bullets on the way and they have the hollow base; so wad or no wad for someone who has tried it both ways ? -Thank you

Anything between the powder and mini will inhibit its expansion. There is a chance the wad would be driven into the base and carried with the mini which wouldn't do anything for accuracy.

I shoot lubed minies in a .54 Pedersoli Jaeger. After the powder charge I send down a .54 cal dry felt wad, then the minie. The rifle shoots great, and I think the wad helps scrub the bore each time. Lead fouling is minimal after a string of 20 or so shots. I've never had one stick in the base, I don't think. They are always able to be spotted like a little falling meteor, with a smokey tail lol.

I'm no physics major, so in my pea brain I see the pressure being all at the base of the minie, since the wad is not a total gas seal. This equal pressure on both sides of the wad would prevent it from being shoved in the base cavity.

Last edited:
From my experience:
Slight Concave- yes advisable, like Whitworth’s partial sphere.
Deep cavity - no

when i shot my GPR the other day i poured powder(all but once:doh:) then a lubed felt wad, then the minie. accuracy was the best i have had with that 1-60 twist.
when i scrounged up the wads, every one was a donut. the center burned out, leaving a circular gasket.
only thing i can think of is the pressure forced the center into the cavity and concentrated the fire on that spot. :dunno:

Back