• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

failure to launch

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WGDunaway

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I shoot a Cabela's Hawken to which I have added a 50 cal Green Mountain LRH with 1:24 twist to hunt whitetails. I use musket caps and 777 powder. Today at the range, I had several misfires. Both Caps and powder are a couple years old and it was a damp humid day.
Should I routinely replace both caps and powder, or are there other suggestions? I routinely fire a cap prior to loading powder. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you for your help.

Get new caps first. Or better yet get the # 11 nipple back on and use 777 3f or REAL BP and shoot away. I have had nothing but problems with muskets caps lately.

At this point in time I'm working on shooting up a 7 pound batch of powder and a couple hundred caps that I've had for about 12 yrs now. No misfires, excellent accuracy. I don't believe either powder or caps go bad as long as they're stored in a controlled climate at around normal room temps.

Surely you've spent a significant amount of time using oil solvents like brake cleaner to clean the packing grease from the new barrel and it's flash channel before shooting it?

Fake black powders are some times hard to light. Try loading a duplex load, dropping a priming charge of real black powder down first. Subtract that much from your main charge.

Was today the first time you have fired the new barrel? If so, there may still be some kind of preservative grease in the breech. Try flushing the breech out with alcohol, water, or some other black powder solvent if you haven't already.

smoothshooter said:
there may still be some kind of preservative grease in the breech. Try flushing the breech out with alcohol, water, or some other black powder solvent if you haven't already.
Right,, "grease",, alcohol kind of works,, "water" doesn't,, nor does a "black powder solvent" because all of those are water based.

Triple Seven used in conventional muzzleloaders can can be hard to light.

Quite often the breech of a new barrel has a lot of crud, grease and/or oil.

Take the nipple out and clean the flame channel with a bristled pipe cleaner.

Do "all of the above". Then, if your caps are going off and powder is not, get some real black.

Also if you must stick with musket caps assure they are not "re-enactor" caps, they are not as powerfull (so I've heard). I have always had trouble with musket caps myself. :idunno:

When you say "Misfire" what do you mean??

Did the cap fail to go off or did the powder charge fail to ignite?
If the cap failed to go off then the problem is either a bad cap, bad nipple, weak spring, or miss aligned hammer.
If the main powder charge failed to ignite, then you have either bad powder, a bad or blocked nipple, or an obstruction of oil or carbon between the nipple and the powder charge.

Personally, I have never experienced bad powder or bad caps, that were not the result of my own doing.

To remove packing grease, you need a proper solvent such as stoddard solvent, kereosene or mineral spirits. Alcohol will work but not well as a solvent for packing grease. Water based solvents will not work at all. When choosing the solvent, be sure not to use something that will damage the finish on your stock. Acetone is a poor choice for this reason as well as being a fire hazard. Do not use gasoline because it is a highly dangerous fire hazard.

Billnpatti said:
Do not use gasoline because it is a highly dangerous fire hazard.
Truth that,, but Man,, that stuff works the best!
Folks here cringe when I recommend a little in a soup can and the pump method, so I don't anymore,, but I've salvaged more then one crud fouled barrel with gas.

Interesting thing Gasoline,, Folks get themselves all wound up about nasty chemicals and the MSDS requirements for handling said stuff,, but merrily pump gas, fill lawnmowers/snowblowers and all manner of small engines several times a month without batting an eye, :hmm:

Billnpatti said:
To remove packing grease, you need a proper solvent such as stoddard solvent, kereosene or mineral spirits. Alcohol will work but not well as a solvent for packing grease. Water based solvents will not work at all. When choosing the solvent, be sure not to use something that will damage the finish on your stock. Acetone is a poor choice for this reason as well as being a fire hazard. Do not use gasoline because it is a highly dangerous fire hazard.
UMMMMMMMMM! :shocked2: Everything you listed is flammable. Stoddard solvent even contains lighter fluid. Not to mention being highly toxic.

That being said I have used 100LL aviation fuel to degrease airplane bellies. :grin:

Since the amount of gasoline needed to get the possible grease out of the breech area is probably less than two thimbles full, the danger is minimal. Kerosene would be even less so.
Plug the nipple, pour the flammable substance of choice down the bore, go do something else for a half - hour or so, come back and dump the liquid out of the bore. Unscrew nipple and wipe breech well with well with a patch loosely wrapped around an undersized brass bore brush. Everything should be fine.

Back