• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

Hoyt Thumper Carbine Velocity results..chronographed

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was dissatisfied with the smoothness of the 58 cal bore. Patches still hung up and there were still several tight spots. I had some Wheeler lapping compounds show up yesterday, finally. So I did some more work with 220 grit 200 stokes, followed by 320 grit 150 strokes. 350 more strokes. It still looks like hell, but that is an artifact of using a bore scope.

When I place a dry patch on the jag and get it into the bore, the jag drops to the breech unassisted using a solid brass 3/8" diameter 28" long range rod with handle and there are no longer tight spots. Smooth to patch, not to bore scope. The pictures below are after the additional strokes. The chatter marks are on the lands. No more on these guns until I shoot them and see what I get.

If I am satisfied, I will hit it with 50 strokes of 400 diamond grit paste then 100 of JB paste to final polish then call it good.

View attachment 201135View attachment 201136View attachment 201137
I haven’t seen anything that rough from Bobby. That’s a bunch of reamer chatter…

Back