• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Minie Recommendation

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom A Hawk

Cannon
MLF Sponsor
MLF Supporter
Reaction score
I have a 70's Zoli Zouave and Lyman minie mold that have never given me exceptional accuracy. The minie seems undersized to the point that I'm afraid it might slide out of the barrel if carried muzzle down. Not too bad after a fowling shot.

What other minies have provided good results in a Zouave?

A properly sized minie, unlubed, will slide down the barrel with a slight "hisss" with the hammer at half cock. If it slides down fast and/or rattles, you will never get good accuracy. with my enfield, I cast at .580 and sized to .577. When lubed, the weight of the ramrod with little assistance will send the minie down a clean barrel. A properly sized and lubed minie can be fired repeatedly without needing to clean between shots.

ADK Bigfoot

You need to pin gauge the bore to be CERTAIN of what the diameter is. Then you can pick your minie and size down further if necessary. The Minie needs to be .001-.002 under bore size.

If you don't want to cast and size your own, they are available from lodgewood.

https://www.lodgewood.com/Bullets_c_7.html

Finding your exact bore size is paramount to accuracy when using a Minie.

What size minie from your Lyman mold? Many people shoot a .580 minie with greased rings and get good accuracy with the right powder charge.
A point of reference here. I shoot a sized .575 500 grain minie out of my Enfield, using 44 grains FFFg. I get good hits at 100 yards with this load.
You never mentioned your powder charge.

You have to measure the bore, even rifles from the same maker, the same model manufactured the same year can vary quite a bit. Measure first, then you need a minie no more than .002 under bore size. You can't necessarily count on the mold dropping the bullet the exact size the mold claims to be either. The minies should be sized to the proper measurement.

Some good advice posted thus far and the "Search" function is your friend. We've been over and over this.

With a minie rifle, you can NEVER, EVER, assume it's .575. They vary widely and a proper fitting bullet is a must as is real black powder, quality lube and caps. Yes, Lee molds are cheap, but you get what you pay for. In all my minie rifles, only 1, ONE, Lee mold works and that's the one they discontinued. I have molds and rifles that vary from .575 all the way to .581. Bullets for the .575 rifles will have poor accuracy in the .581 rifle and that's not the fault of the bullet, rifle or shooter. It's simply the wrong ammo.

What size minie from your Lyman mold? Many people shoot a .580 minie with greased rings and get good accuracy with the right powder charge.
A point of reference here. I shoot a sized .575 500 grain minie out of my Enfield, using 44 grains FFFg. I get good hits at 100 yards with this load.
You never mentioned your powder charge.
Had to dig out my mold. Its a 575213. Have always used 60 grains FF. The balls are measuring .575". Where to buy a few larger balls to try?

Back