• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Extra Cylinders

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have spare cylinders for my Remington style pistols-and I use them. I also have the shhh conversion cylinder. one practicle use I have found for them. When out on the range with my wife, and or friends, I can reload a cylinder while they fire the pistol this gives all a chance to fire a BP pistol during range time. I also take one with me when I do certain civil war events(where pistols are allowed). Mostly at small events, they help in those pregnant pauses in shooting where everyone is reloading their muskets. And the approx $70 dollar cost pfffft. Take the time to see how much money you spend on manure in a couple of weeks- donuts, candy bars, them fancy cups of coffee, bottles of Pop, fast food- and you will soon have it paid for.
Also a fancy holster, and belt alot of times cost more than a replica Black Powder pistol. Check out Tandy they have holster and belt kits I put together a pair for around a hundred bucks. You can then personalize it any wahy you want expecially with all the different conchos they have. What I find is a waste of money for an accessory is a scope for a pistol. If you need a scope get a rifle.

I've thought of the idea of spare cylinders as well. For me I'd prefer to carry a loaded cylinder that just needs a few caps than to take all of the loading gear while out for a week of hunting.

I've also entertained the idea of carrying a BP revolver while backpacking. Again, I'd prefer an extra cylinder rather than loading gear.

1601phill said:
Why ? seriously if you feel the need for fast( :rotf: ) reloads a modern is what you might need. I realy realy wish people would leave traditional B/P shooting traditional and stop trying to apply modern lodgic all the time.
Do you think that people took their time and did it slow and relaxing 150yrs ago? Of course not, their life depended on their proficiency with their chosen weapon. They operated them as quickly and efficiently as possible. I do A LOT of shooting with single actions and when I do so, I do it quickly and efficiently. No, I'm not in a race and no, it doesn't take the fun out of it. I'm not just making noise and killing time, I'm buildling skill. So while I do not necessarily agree with the practice of carrying spare cylinders for Colt's, I understand the reasoning behind it.

If anything, the notion that blackpowder shooting is to be taken slow and relaxing is the "modern" view.

I actualy know a bit more than you my think I do. I am a HC PC kind of person and realy enjoy shooting and competing with b/p firearms of most types . Have done for years ,and find it wonderfull when fng's come along, it does bug me when I see them being diverted a bit off the path. Guys like me and there are plenty on this forum have all ready strayed ,spent money and wasted a lot of time on b/s gear ,only to find out what worked back in the day still does now. Sorry if I come across a bit stroppy but it does bug me to see newbees lead off by b/s .History actually did happen so actual facts are out there to be found just look , a least run through some of the old topics , this stuff comes up at least twice a month. :)

If your looking for Pietta cylinders now is the time to buy em. Cabela's have them on sale for the 1858 new army for 50 bucks each.

Marc,You may like this,During the Civil War they more than likely did not carry extra cylinders but extra guns. Cavalry carried pommel holsters which could carry Dragoons or Walkers beside the issued 1860s and probably an 1849 as a backup. A reason to purchase more.I'm just sayin.......

Ah, Shoeless, I hear the voice of experience.....

I decided to buy my first cap 'n ball revolver this past weekend and within 2 days bought another.

I'm trying really hard to not buy another one, at least until I actually have the other two in my possession!

From what I have read in my own family's Civil War history, and elsewhere, extra pistols were sometimes more favorably regarded than extra cylinders. Mosby had several good quotes. That's all the excuse I need!

And something else I learned by experience; don't carry those extra cylinders capped. I watched someone else give himself the surprise of a lifetime. Nobody was hurt but that man was still leaping and twitching as he packed up to leave the ranch. :)

Everyone needs a Dragoon also. You don't need to see them at matches to know when someone is on a stage with a Walker or Dragoon..........

Dragoons and Walkers grab attention fast.

Reading the threads mentioning them has influenced my dreams. I dreamt last night I was target shooting a Walker and the dream was real enough that I was fighting with the loading lever droping on me after every shot.

I agree that for the man that relied on his sixguns for his life, extra guns would be of much greater value than extra cylinders. Good thing about percussion guns is that they're affordable enough to have at least one or two pairs.

Back