• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Extendable stock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kruzer1

40 Cal.
Reaction score
While planning one of my next builds I have been studying Lavan's history of Spanish Firearms. Most of the 16th century Spanish wheellock butt stocks had a knob on the end that is described as an extendable stock. Just curious if anyone has information about them and how they worked?

I am thinking of building one but have no idea even if I want to build that part how to do it (only thing I can think of it is on a screw of some type).

20230127_154946.jpg

No clue on the exact workings for that one, but have you seen the painting of a Captain Thomas James, owner and Captain of the Dragon of Bristol?
He is holding a pistol the mechanism of which Ido not know, but this pistol/cabine has a hinged ice pick that doubles for a butt stock.
In 1631, he sailed in the Henrietta Maria to Hudson Bay, in an attempt to discover a Noth=West passage.
Will see if I can find the picture for you.
The painting is in is in Neil and Back's GBG 1540 to 1740.
Keith Neil states, "The carbine he is olding has a ball trigger, a blt hook, and a hinged iron butt combined with an ice pick which pivots on a pin passing through the end of the stock.....he also says indications are that it is a snaplock.

Now, whilst writing this, a picture has just come to mind of the sort you actually Enquired about!
will see if I can find it. Same book!

Yes,
Page 182 of Great British Gunmakers 1540-1740. Pistol /carbine by Thomas bannister, c 1680. a flintlock. Shows telescopic butt extended, but does not show how it locks in place.
Am thinking a notch in the square extension, and a spring clip that engages it. Similar to the sort seen on some butt traps or wooden patch boxes.

Last edited:
Thank you for the response. Barring a trip to Europe and begging a museum to inspect some originals (not going to happen on a teachers salary with kids, lol!) that is the closest I have gotten to doing something close to period. I may have to get creative. Most of my attention has been spent on Spanish firearms and I did not know about that book. Since a lot of period firearms and building techniques crossed borders I might have to get myself a copy of that book.

Back