• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Wheellock extendable stocks: More information?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The Real Armería de Madrid has multiple wheellocks with extendable stocks. Unfortunately, I cannot find any information that properly describes the mechanism, or even a good image of the guns.
Here are some examples:
MadridExtendableStocks.jpg

Screenshot 2023-05-01 163955.jpg

R-Arkebuse 1530, Augsburg.1 kl.jpg

The only similar mechanism I could find is this one, from around 150 years later:

It has a button release, which does not appear to be present on the wheellocks.

Does anyone have any additional information on this type, particularly how the mechanism works? I am struggling to find anything. My following post will have some of the additional information I found in Apuntes de la armería española. Siglos XVI a XIX, by Javier Sagrera.

Here is some information from the previously mentioned book:
(Spanish and translated to English)
ABA5E3CD-AD39-405B-9DB7-3D1CC17B46FB.jpeg

F82B0A6C-BDC6-4A70-BBA3-4FD9CBF79A38.jpeg

FB88C7FA-1017-4B27-9459-28D3E97E0C1B.jpeg

AD365C4F-989A-4892-BF0D-8D69D8ABB0A8.png

The translation calls it a screw stock, which provides some idea of how the stock would work. Maybe only the the two ends of the metal rod have threading, so you can unscrew, pull it to length, and then screw it tight?

The translation also calls it a “typical German extendable stock”. This is strange because I have never seen a German extendable stock. It also implies there are more examples, if it is “typical”.

Very interesting ... I wonder if this was prevalent in the age when one may have worn chest armor plate or not, as we've seen that inhibits correctly shouldering a stocked arm, i.e., directly related to the arm's length of pull.

Very interesting ... I wonder if this was prevalent in the age when one may have worn chest armor plate or not, as we've seen that inhibits correctly shouldering a stocked arm, i.e., directly related to the arm's length of pull.
I think that’s exactly the case. One of them is dated to 1530 (the earliest dated wheellock), which is when Gendarmes and other heavy lance cavalry were still galloping around.

It may have a set screw hidden that used the spanner to tighten the screw that held the extension stock out?

It may have a set screw hidden that used the spanner to tighten the screw that held the extension stock out?
That’d probably be on the left side though, right?

It’s hard to tell based off the image quality, but it looks like there is possibly some sort of catch at the top of the metal discs.

Last edited:
I have not had much luck finding more images or information from the museum, but I did find the display's informational plaque:
Feuerwaffen 1 kl.jpg

9269254885_d3113de4aa_o.jpg

I have an email out to the museum, asking about their double barreled wheellocks. If my horrendous attempt at Spanish does not push them away, hopefully I can ask about these stocks.

EEB611DA-670D-47A7-A628-61B22EAAAF25.jpeg

532A9E67-E8DF-4A67-A19D-95517D88BD66.jpeg

Guns and Rifles of the World has a bit more information. The main helpful bit is an image of the left side, showing there is no additional external part of the stock mechanism. The part above the trigger is a safety.

Found this write up referring to extendable butt stocks of Charles V. Of course, no images that show how they work.
20230519_222136.jpg

Lots to investigate later this summer! Thanks for all the research folks! I am really enjoying these threads!

Found this write up referring to extendable butt stocks of Charles V. Of course, no images that show how they work.
View attachment 222792

Lots to investigate later this summer! Thanks for all the research folks! I am really enjoying these threads!
It does mention English pistols having the same mechanism, which could be a helpful clue. The only one I know of is in the video I posted further up, which has a button on the side. It does look like all the Spanish wheellocks have something right above the disk shaped part of the stock. Maybe a latch?

Unfortunately, my searching has only shown those folding stock Italian flintlocks, which are interesting because a notable portion of Brescian wheellock arquebuses have that system, but that’s a separate topic.

From A History of Spanish Firearms, by James D Lavin:
0BCA0890-83A7-482A-A496-97A60A23C902.jpeg

This sounds like you remove the stock extension entirely, and then screw it on? Could this be the reason for the little metal piece that is barely visible in images, maybe it’s an internal thread?

Back