• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What is this stock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got the broken toe cut out. I still need to sand it some to square up the cut more. I save the saw dust to mix with the glue if need be.
KIMG0462.jpg

KIMG0464.jpg

Couldn't steal the pics from the GB listing. I will post some pics when the old bird gets here. The "Broken" stock is right at the toe, the corner is missing just behind the butt plate. Honestly if that is all that is broken about that stock, I may leave it. Well lets see if the bore looks like a sewer pipe before I get too excited. haha. If it is, Ill send it off to have a bigger hole put in it. :D
I just do a screen shot of the picture I want then just edit the outside, and clip those off so just have the picture I want. I do all this with my Apple IPad.

Depending on the width of your stock you could cut a piece out from under the butt plate then glue a bit of any wood in place of it; bit of extra work but your repair will be the very same wood as the stock.
Have done it but found out about the trick when cleaning up an English double years ago, like your rifle the toe had been repaired, when I took the butt plate off there was a lighter piece fitted where the repair piece had been cut out.

Going on the photos I’d say a nice piece of beech, especially the ones of the fresh cut

Last edited:
Well I got the repair mostly done. I have to do a little more sanding. I got that bent up butt plate fitting just as good as I can. The butt plate isn't great but its 100% better than it was. I decided to drill straight down through the repair and pin it wilth a dowel. You can see it in the pic. It won't matter though because I'm putting a toe plate on it. I am proud of myself for sure. I've never done anything like that. But it was fun and rewarding.
KIMG0471.jpg

That came out good. Looks like you used Maple? Are you going to try to blend in the two pieces a little some how? What does the old stock look like if its sanded a little?

That came out good. Looks like you used Maple? Are you going to try to blend in the two pieces a little some how? What does the old stock look like if its sanded a little?
I took the stock up to a Tool and supply house. They sell wood working equipment and all sorts of wood for custom work. The guy behind the counter took one look at the stock and said it was Maple. So I bought a small Piece of maple and used that for the repair. I will try to match the repair to the original stock the best I can.

Latest posts

Back