• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What is this stock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well its done! Well Kinda, I didn't stain the patch to match, I just finish sanded the thing and put 3 coats (so far) of Boiled Linseed Oil on it. I will do more work to it at a later time. I still have to put a toe plate on it also. Now if it shoots straight it will do just fine for the woods. I have to be honest I kinda like the way the patch piece sticks out like a sore thumb. Range report upcoming. Is it weird that I hope it doesn't shoot well so I can have it punched to a .54? My luck it will drive tacks.
KIMG0515.jpg

KIMG0516.jpg

KIMG0514.jpg

I went and shot the ole Mountain rifle this morning. It was consistently shooting just to the right of point of aim. So I'll need to drift the front sight a tad. I didn't do it because I forgot my whacker and brass punch. Anyway, this rifle has a tight bore, it preferred a .010" patch with the .490 ball. The first group I shot was 60grs 3F Grafs, .015 ticking patch, and ball. Elevation was good but it was shooting about 3" right of the point of aim and it put down a big ole 6" group. So I shot that same group again to verify, again a 6" group. I had a talk with her and I said, "Ok Raggedy Ann (Thats the name I gave it, as she was Raggedy when I got it) clearly you do not like that load, what would you like, more juice or more squeeze?" I decided to give her a little more juice and a tad less squeeze. I bumped the charge to 70 grs FFFg and a .010 patch. AHH YES, that was much better a 2.5" group still just right of POA. I also swabbed once between shots. I'll get back to the range and work some more on load work up and zero. But this old bird is gonna be just fine. These are pretty nice rifles and the lock and triggers are pretty sweet. I can see why they are so sought after. Fun little project but I gotta get on to the swish boomer now.
KIMG0518.jpg

KIMG0519.jpg

Last edited:
Back