• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

What is this stock?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was giving this lock and stock today. It has steel butt plate and nose cap. Has that Spanish looking lock. And has two barrel wedges. Anyone know what it is? I think it may be a CVA Mountain, if so, I wish I had the rest of it.
KIMG0388.jpg

KIMG0389-01-BURST1000389-COVER.jpg

KIMG0390.jpg

Well I guess it was fate. I decided to swing over to Gun Broker and low and behold there was a Mountain (made in USA) .50 cal listed with a broken stock, no pics of the bore as I don't care, I'll have it bored over if need be. For the price of the whole gun I couldn't piece together all the parts needed to finish this.

Well I guess it was fate. I decided to swing over to Gun Broker and low and behold there was a Mountain (made in USA) .50 cal listed with a broken stock, no pics of the bore as I don't care, I'll have it bored over if need be. For the price of the whole gun I couldn't piece together all the parts needed to finish this.
It was meant to be.

That’s some incredible luck!
I have a complete CVA kit from a fella who cut the stock shorter thinking he’d build it for his wife. When he held the buttplate to it he put it back in the box and gave up on it.
I’d carve a new one from a blank but after all that it’s still a CVA.
One of these daze I’ll put it in the For Sale section

Couldn't steal the pics from the GB listing. I will post some pics when the old bird gets here. The "Broken" stock is right at the toe, the corner is missing just behind the butt plate. Honestly if that is all that is broken about that stock, I may leave it. Well lets see if the bore looks like a sewer pipe before I get too excited. haha. If it is, Ill send it off to have a bigger hole put in it. :D

Well I got the CVA Mountain rifle I bought from Gun Broker today. Its not really all that bad for the price paid. The bore is in really good shape. Its missing both wedges and someone installed a different ram rod thimble. I see why they did that as the one installed has a sling anchor on it. The lock needs some attention. It does work but the clicks into half cock and full cock is not audible at all. I need to pull it apart and see whats going on in there. The set triggers work as advertised as well.
KIMG0416.jpg

KIMG0419.jpg

KIMG0417.jpg

KIMG0418.jpg

Your butt stock issues are all fixable. Appears the butt plate is bent at the toe, which most likely broke off the wood there. You’ll need to reform the butt plate to the correct arch and splice in some new wood to restore the stock. If you have any questions on how to do those things just ask.

Your butt stock issues are all fixable. Appears the butt plate is bent at the toe, which most likely broke off the wood there. You’ll need to reform the butt plate to the correct arch and splice in some new wood to restore the stock. If you have any questions on how to do those things just ask.
Yes, please explain how to splice in a piece of wood and correct this butt plate. I was wondering if I could just fix this stock last night. I'm gonna order the parts I need this morning. Thank you

Yes, please explain how to splice in a piece of wood and correct this butt plate. I was wondering if I could just fix this stock last night. I'm gonna order the parts I need this morning. Thank you
The butt plate tip needs to be heated up a bit, then hammered back to shape. The stock already has a sizable section spliced and it’s not a very clean one. So I would suggest cleanly cutting the current slice repair off and replace with new wood. Use a couple of small wood dowels and wood glue to secure. Allow a little extra wood on your repair piece and do the final shaping once it’s dry. If you just want to repair the missing toe, cut or file the break flat, find a suitable patch piece and glue into place, you can use one or two sections of wooden toothpicks for dowels. Do you final shaping after it’s dry. For either repair it would be preferable for the repair wood grain to generally match the stock. Then stain and finish the repair and blend it with the rest of the stock or strip and refinish the whole stock if you choose.

Progress report. I have the rifle torn completely down. I heated the butt plate and hammered it back into shape. I cleaned and adjusted the double set triggers, they were filthy and full of gunk and crud. They are working like they should now. The lock was in the same condition, Filthy and full of gunk, the fly would barely come down to block the half cock notch. I gave it a bath in hot soapy water, then WD FAWTY, and now it sits in a tub of straight ballistol. I will tear it completely apart to clean and lube as soon as my main spring vise gets here. Now on to this stock with the broken Toe. I am going to completely strip it to refinish but mainly to see what kind of wood it is so I can get the right species for the repair. The grain under the blutt plate does not look like the grain of the bare beech stock I was given. Now for the barrel, it is remarkably in good condition. I ran some ballistol patches down it and they came out a little brownish, but a few patches later they came out clean. Then I dropped the AAA battery down there (AWESOME tip I learned on here) and looked, I was pleasantly surprised its in really good shape as far as I can see. Now it sits with the nipple hole plugged and is filled with ballistol, just for general principal. I will post some pics on the progress later.

P.S. Yes I know some may be wondering why I'm spending time on this instead of the woodsrunner thats still in the crate. There IS a method to my madness. This rifle is, well, basically practice.
Have a great day you all!

I got most of the finish striped off. I don't think that's Beech. Walnut maybe. In the Pics its still a little wet with mineral spirits. What do ya'll think? Just need to know so I can select the right species for the toe repair.
KIMG0460.jpg

KIMG0458.jpg

KIMG0459.jpg

KIMG0461.jpg

Back