• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Epoxy for muzzle cap and entry thimble

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll give those a try. Thanks Fred!

Though this is off topic, how do you make the decorative sterling silver round nail heads that adorn certain inlays, like cheek stars? they really aren't commercially available for what we want. I was planning on using epoxy and very small screws, (like # 2's or 4's) to cinch it down until the glue set, and then filling the holes and replacing them with the decorative nails to get the "look" of the nails holding the star in place. But I'm wide open to a better and simpler system if there's one out there.

I formerly bought small silver nails from Rio Grande jewelry supply and one other supplier but forgot the name, but had to peen the existing heads and filed a shallow round head. These nails had 1/32" dia shanks.

Ran out of these nails by making LRs w/ keys that had escutcheon plates.

When using these nails w/ either head shape, the shank had raised cuts to form barbs....none ever backed out. The barbs were cut and formed w/ a sharp chisel.....Fred

Thanks Fred.

Is this what you were referring to? https://www.riogrande.com/Product/Sterling-Silver-1-29mm-Domed-Head-Pin-12-Hard/6947071

2.9mm looks like the perfect size for estrucheons for keys, but a wee bit too small for a cheek plate.

Maybe I could use a small round headed bolt, and fill the screw slot with steel welding material? Stick it in the drill press to round it back down? Of course it would be steel, and prone to rust then. Maybe it could then be "tinned" with silver solder so that it would then be a silver nail.
Just a thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
You appear determined to make this as difficult as possible.

Pre-drill holes slightly smaller than the nail shanks and tap them home. It would take quite some effort for the nail to work itself loose. The nails can be made from silver wire stock with a head peened on one end and the tip shaped with wire cutters. The head could be refined with a file if a rounded head is desired.

Once seated, you can file the part left above the surface of the inlay (which has had the hole slightly countersunk) until it is flush if no head is desired. This will retain the inlay.

No I actually want a bulbous sort of a head to show, and be proud to the inlay. Something in the size order of about 3/16" or so.

Col. Batguano said:
No I actually want a bulbous sort of a head to show, and be proud to the inlay. Something in the size order of about 3/16" or so.

Black Hand said:
The nails can be made from silver wire stock with a head peened on one end and the tip shaped with wire cutters. The head could be refined with a file if a rounded head is desired.

Black Hand said:
Pre-drill holes slightly smaller than the nail shanks and tap them home. It would take quite some effort for the nail to work itself loose.

14 gauge re-bar tie wire is very soft. (diameter is about 1/16"). I use it only for the nose cap and I form a head just on the top (inside). On ramrod pipes I use music (spring tempered) wire.

From the pic, I think those would work. The head dia. is .112 and I would reduce the dia to 3/32" and refile the dome.....3/16 dia is too big. Those aren't the nails I had, but should work fine. A length of 3/8" w/ a point should work and w/ the barbs, won't back out.

Some just take silver wire and w/ a torch melt the silver and it'll form a blob on the end which can then be filed......Fred

Back