• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Success!!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Valkyrie

32 Cal.
Reaction score
A big thanks to everyone here in helping me through a beginner problem. As you may have read in a thread where I misaligned my entry thimble during inletting. Well I’m here to say that a combination of solutions ended up working out really well!

I took Bill Raby’s advice and fit a sliver of wood to the offset side and then instead of filing it back I re-inlet it back straight. Then went with some other suggestions and moved some metal around very slightly. And Viola’!! Ramrod fits perfectly too!!

The wood seam is still visible but it’s the best I could do. The shadows and light make it look off center in the picture but it is dead center trigger to muzzle.

Thanks again all. This gave me fits. But on to the rest of the thimbles.

Attachments

• D16017D0-BDB1-472B-B863-15BDB133B386.jpeg
    D16017D0-BDB1-472B-B863-15BDB133B386.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
We are our biggest critics, I doubt just anybody will be able to notice once it’s stained and finished.
True. This drove me crazy. I sat on doing anything after I glued in the wood, agonizing over what would be the most invisible repair. But it worked out and I’m very happy.

I also switched to using Permetex Prussian Blue. Way less messy and doesn’t seem to migrate everywhere like the inletting black.

It will be invisible after finishing.
Thanks Bill.

This is sure an endeavor in patience lol. My first time building a gun and I and treading water, barely lol. It is immensely satisfying though. Trying to compartmentalism how each part of the gun looks in my minds eye and then making that happen is not easy. But I’m driving on!

Thanks everyone.

I do t know how much more I will get to do on the gun for the next couple months. I’m leaving for a 2 month long deployment overseas this weekend. The rest of the thimbles and buttplate will have to wait until spring. It will give me time to contemplate my best work. I’m gonna take a hunch if pictures, take a lot of notes and study them while I’m gone.

Back