• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Dumb question?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am refinishing a nice little Traditions sidelock rifle and have a question. There is a small spring loaded screw inside the lock that I am not familiar with. I have worked on plenty of T/C caplocks and have never seen this before. Before I mess something up, can someone tell me what it is for?
IMG_3363.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3364.jpeg
    IMG_3364.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3365.jpeg
    IMG_3365.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3362.jpeg
    IMG_3362.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
As @deerstalkert said it is a unique adjustment of the Spanish locks for the trigger sear engagement of the tumbler.
It's use has been discussed here on our forum as priority to those locks since my membership.
It's use is one of three(3) trigger balance adjustments available with the Spanish made guns such as CVA and Traditions Arms and others.
Just as our current T/C, they have typical failings/issues of older guns that may need to be addressed.
Unique to the CVA/Traditions of the T/C is the shoulder on the hammer, that shoulder allows the lock can be actuated fully in hand without damage, it wont over travel.
So my advice to you, with your experience, is look closely at where that screw contacts the sear. Then adjust the screw in/out while working it in your hand, so that you can see how the adjustment was meant to be used.
One common failing, is an over adjustment that has stripped the screw threads in the tumbler by a previous owner,, and a loose fitment in the tumbler that lends the screw to travel, aka; it's need some loctite when the best position is found.
All of this has been discussed in detail for over a decade in many-many threads.

Latest posts

Back